Alviso is one of the oldest towns in Santa Clara County. In 1849 it was predicted that it was destined to become a great city. Setting, as it does, at the head of San Francisco Bay, it was thought that it would become the shipping point for all the lower county. For a time it was a very active place. Warehouses were built and buildings erected for hotels, dwellings and stores. The railroad, however, diverted travel in 1865, and the town became nearly deserted. The arrival of the South Pacific Coast Railroad (now part of the Southern Pacific system) in 1876, revived business somewhat, but the residents no longer look forward to putting on metropolitan airs.
The town was incorporated in 1852 with John Snyder as its first treasurer andA. T. Gallagher as its first marshal. Thomas West and Robert Hutchinson were members of the first board of trustees. The principal industries of Alviso at the present time are the Bayside Cannery and two evaporator companies. The Bayside employs from 400 to 500 persons every season. The Ortley Bros. also do a paying shell business. There is but one church, the First Methodist, and one grammar school. There is both water and mail transportation, boats drawing ten feet of water being enabled to land at the wharves.
Alviso is headquarters for the South Bay Yacht Club. In 1922 there were twenty-four yachts and other boats in the harbor. The club was organized in April, 1896, with J. O. McKee as commodore, Dr. H. A. Spencer, vice commodore; J. E. Auzerais, secretary, and S. E. Smith, treasurer. C. Keaton is the present commodore.
Transcribed by Linda Gretty, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922.
CARTER, J. S. Warehouses
YOUNG, C. W. working at the Alviso Flour Mills
SANTA CLARA GENEALOGY
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES