MILPITAS TOWNSHIP HISTORY
This town, seven miles north of San Jose, stretches from San
Francisco Bay to the eastern foothills and is bounded on the north by
Alameda County and on the south by the Berryessa and Alviso sections.
It came into existence in 1856 when Frederick Creighton erected the
first building and opened a store. A postoffice was also established at
the time with Creighton as postmaster and J. R. Weller as assistant. In
1857 the first hotel was opened by James Kinney, who was succeeded by A.
French. The building was destroyed by fire in 1860, but it was rebuilt
by French and conducted by him until his death, over twenty years ago.
Of late years the town has made a rapid growth. It now has a population
of about 800. It boasts of the California Packing Company, two
warehouses, one for hay and grain and the other for grain, solely, a
sugar beet company, a spinach ranch, a Standard Oil plant, some of the
largest dairies in the state, a squab farm and large potato and grain
ranches. There is but one church (Catholic), the Protestants going to
San Jose for religious services; and a grammar school, a bank and a free
library. There is one paper, the Post, published in San Jose.
Transcribed by Linda Grettty, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922,
History of Milpitas
Milpitas Historical Society
Almshouse of Santa Clara County-
LEVINE PARK- and the historic Laguna Cemetery
FAMILY CHRONICLES-/BIOGRAPHIES of Milpitas Pioneer Families
(see the complete Santa Clara County Biography Project)
Abel, George E.
ASHLEY, Aldace N. - General Merchandise
ASHLEY, John T.- General Merchandise
BOYCE, David S.----Carriage Maker, Farm Implements, Inventor
BRANDT, Charles- Family settled in Milpitas 1864
DARLING,E. W.-Grain Warehouse, Wells Fargo, Southern Pacific Railroad
Edward P. Giacomazzi- Post Master and Founder of the Bank of Milpitas
GIBSON, Edward O.- Grain Farmer
The Winsor Family- Pioneer Blacksmiths of Milpitas
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA- THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT
April l6, 2006