Mountain View: This peaceful
little village is situated about eight miles north from San Jose, and
worthily derives its name from the splendid hilly prospect which meets
the eye at this point. It stands in the center of a rich farming
country, and, at one time promised to be a place of considerable
importance, but the railroad having given it the go-by, it has been
robbed of its importance by its sitser hamlet near the tracks and depot.
In the year 1852, when the county road was
altered from its original line, James Campbell erectred a state stand
on the site of Mrs. Taylor's hotel, where th coaches changed horses;
long after , a store was opened by Jacob Shomway for Richard Carr. on
ground immediately opposite the hotel, where it stood until a few years
ago, when it was removed to the back of the town, and is at present
occupied by Mrs. Sleeper, as a residence. It was thus that
Mountain View had its commencement. In 1853, two more stores were
erected by Weilheimer brothers, and a Hungarian, whose name cannot now
be recalled, save that he was always called "Doc," while a few
residences were constructed.
The lots were originally surveyed by F Sleeper and Mariano Castro, and
laid out with a due regard to streets, but the settlement has been
mainly either side of the San Jose road.
In the yar 1859, the Cumberland Prebyterian Church was built where it
now stands, midway between the two towns, while some years after the
present elegant school house was erected. In 1869, S. P.Taylor
constructed his hotel, since his death kept by his widow, while, in
1876, the attractive building, known as Enterprise Hall, was built by a
Mountain View Lodge, No 244 I.O.O.F- This society was instituted
June 2, 1876, with the following Charter Members: Edward E. Burke,
Christain Mayers, Richard Harjes, Samuel P. Taylor, Joseph F. Kennedy,
James Simpson, the officers officiating on the occasion being
Tilden, M W. G. M.; W. B Lyon, G. Sec., assisted by James A. Lotz, D.
D.G. M. ; D. K. Swain, D. D. G. M.; C. W. Vandergrift, P. G.; H. C.
Mumford, P. G.; John D. Dibble, P. G.; C. V. Thorn, P. G, and C.
Curdts, P. G. The officers elected for the firt term wre: J. F.
Kennedy, N. G.; R. Harjes, V. G.; E. E. Burke, Sec.; Sp. P. Taylor,
Treas.; while, on the evening of the institution no less than thirteen
candidates were admitted by Initiation. The lodge has at present
fifty-five members in good standing, and the officers for the current
year are: W. A. Woodis, N. G.; D. Gartlemann, V. G.; S. A.
Taylor, P. G., Sec.; M. S Loucks, Per. Sec.; R. Harjes, P. G., Treas.
Half of the building in which the lodge meets is owned by them, while
the society is in a flourishing condidtion.
Mountain View House- This hotel stands on the site of the
original building constructed in 1852 by James Campbell as a wayside
stopping place for the stage to and from San Jose, and ws built by S.
P. taylor in the year 1869, who conducted it till his death, when its
affairs fell into the hands of his widow and family. It contains
fifteen rooms, besides a capacious hall, forty-six by twenty-four feet
Enterprise Hall- Was erected in the year 1876 by an association
composed of resident of the town and vicinty. It is twenty-six
by sixty feet, fitted with anterooms, and otherwise suited for dances,
etc. It was originally built for the Odd Felllow's Society, whose
hall occupies the upper story of the building. History of Santa Clara County, California
San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co., 1881, 878 pgs.