CHARLES L. NICHOLS - SANTA CLARA COUNTY PIONEER
SURNAMES: HOGE, LYNDON,
-A far sighted, hustling business man, whose enterprise in providing the best of everything, and plenty of it, for the car-owner and car-user, has been thoroughly appreciated not only in Los Gatos, where he is established, but in near-by sections of Santa Clara County, is Charles L. Nichols. The experienced and accommodating proprietor of the Los Gatos Auto Supply Company is a native of the Buckeye State, born at St. Clairesville, Ohio, on July 19, 1885, the son of J. W. and Caroline (Hoge) Nichols. The father died when Charles was a mere child, and in 1903, Mrs. Nichols and her son came to California and soon settled at Los Gatos. Charles was fortunate in becoming a student in the Preparatory College at Swarthmore, near Philadelphia, Pa., and then he worked as assistant surveyor for the Western Pacific, when they were building through Plumas County, Cal. He next entered the service of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad and engaged in preliminary and location work on the transcontinental line in Montana and Idaho. Through hard study and practical experience he gradually mastered engineering; but he was induced to go to Tampico, Mex., and to purchase a ranch, which he farmed for a year and a half.
In 1908, Mr. Nichols returned to Los Gatos and married Miss May Lyndon, one of the popular belles of the town; and then, in this section, he worked for the Pacific Gas & Electric Company. In 1916, he made the move of particular interest to all those who have since been served by him through his thorough knowledge of the automobile industry and the life and wants of the autoist: he began in the auto supply trade, modestly at first, but in such a level-headed manner as to assure future success. Today, having builded and grown gradually, but surely, he has one of the most complete stocks in this region, carrying tires and oils, and also doing first-class vulcanizing. Mr. Nichols both meets the want of the traveler and he also anticipates his needs and so is ready for every emergency. Mr. and Mrs. Nichols attend the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Nichols is a member of Los Gatos Lodge No. 292, F. & A. M., and with his wife is a member of the Eastern Star. He is a member of the Santa Clara County Auto Trades Association, the State Automobile Association, and the Los Gatos Chamber of Commerce.
Transcribed by Linda Gretty, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 342
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES