HISTORY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY 519
SURNAMES: SWALL, KIFER, SMITH
Among the successful dairy farmers of the Mountain View district is George A. Levin, who owns sixty-one acres on the Charleston road two and a half miles north of Mountain View. A native son of California, he was born March 19, 1882, the son of Joel and Mary Elizabeth (Swall) Levin, early settlers of Mountain View.
The name was originally spelled Le Vine, but several generations ago was changed to Levin. Joel Levin was born in 1824 in Calhoun County, Ill., the second child and only son in a family of eight children. The paternal grandfather, George Levin, was a native of Germany and immigrated to the United States at an early age, and engaged in farming pursuits in Calhoun County, Ill. In 1852, Joel Levin was induced to remove to California, and the start was made on May 7, overland with ox teams, and the following August the party arrived in California. On account of his health, he removed to Santa Clara county and engaged in farming pursuits and within two years was able to save enough to purchase the land which he had previously rented. His marriage occurred in Mayfield, California, and united him with Miss Mary Elizabeth Swall, who was born in Illinois, and she passed away in 1901. There were four children in the family Anna, Ulysses, Mamie and George, the subject of this review.
George A. attended the Whisman grammar school, and later the San Jose Business college. He helped his father on the large ranch, which contained half a section, but since the father's death has been divided up among the heirs. His marriage occurred September 6, 1904, and united him with Miss Anita Kifer, and they have one child, Shelby. Mrs. Levin is the daugher of Shelby and Isabella (Smith) Kifer, the father born in Kentucky and the mother a native of Nova Scotia. In 1853 Shelby Kifer came overland with his parents to California and as two of his sons had preceded him to the Golden State, he made his home with them for a while, but afterward located on the Murphy ranch, later settling on a farm of seventy-five acres, two and a half miles south of Mountain View. Mr. and Mrs. Kifer were the parents of five children. The Kifer Road, in Santa Clara county, was named after this early and esteemed pioneer.
Mr. Levin has 100 head of cattle on his ranch, with fifty-four milch cows, and has a lucrative and growning business. A conscientious Republican, he casts his vote for the candidates selected by that party. He and his family are popular residents of the Whisman district and have the esteem and confidence of the entire community.
Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 519
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY