THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT

SAN YSIDRO or OLD GILROY
(section of the history of Gilroy Township)

How long ago this ancient town was founded there are no means of accurately stating.  In olden days, that is when the Spaniards first came to California, they lived in villages, or rather, clusters of houses on their ranchos, and the little congregation of dwellings received the name of the grant.  Here the Ortega family, to whom was given the San Ysidro tract, fixed their adobe, and by that name was the village called, until the arrival of American settlers, when it became generally knwown as Gilroy, and , afterward, as the new town sprung up, the prefix of "old" was given to it, but the offical name is still San Ysidro.  It is charmingly situated about two miles from the city of Gilroy.  The first foreigners, other than the Spanish, to settle within its precints were those pioneers already mentioned, (transcribers note:see Gilroy Township history which includes the names of these early settlers), and after the discovery of gold and the location of the district, stores were opened in turn by Cluadio Dudit, Barbechon, Harrison & Bruen, Allen & Smith, and Barnes & Newcomb, while there was a hotel conducated by Isaac Hale.  A post-office was also established here at a very early date, but at what precise period we cannot glean.  It was afterwards moved to the new townn.  The general appearance o the quiet little village is clean and comfortable. Pleasant homes with pretty grounds and fruitful orchards line either side of the main road, while there are one or two edifices or more pretentious design than the others, notable among those being the particulary fine dwelling of Horace Wilson.  This gentleman came to the State in the year 1853 and settled in Gilroy township.  He is a bricklayer by trade, and to him is the credit due of having put to use the admirable clay of the district in brick-making during 1853.  In 1859 he erected his magnificent mansion in the center of the village, around which he has constructed well-appointed farm buildings, laid out a beautiful garden and planted a fine orchard.  Contiguous to the village is a neat and well- attended shoool-house, while in the next lot to is  the building of the Gilroy Cheese House, now disused.

History of Santa Clara County, California : San Francisco: Alley, Bowen & Co., 1881, 878 pgs.
page 278-279,.transcribed by cdf



RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA HISTORY- THE VALLEY OF HEARTS DELIGHT