THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT

ARTHUR EARL AVERILL
Summit District- Santa Cruz Mountains


A native son of the Golden West who is energetic in his desire to aid in the upbuilding and improving of this favored region of the globe, Arthur Earl Averill was born in Santa Cruz, May 13, 1893, a son of Volney and Alice (Schultheis) Averill.   The father was a pioneer of the Santa Cruz Mountains and a veteran of the Civil War, elsewhere represented in this history, while the mother  was a native of Santa Clara County, a daughter of John Martin Schultheis, one of the earliest pioneers of the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Arthur Earl was the youngest of their seven children and received his education in the Summit school, from which he was graduated, after which he completed a special course in the Acme Business College in Seattle.  He then returned to the home ranch, were from a boy he had assisted as best he could, thus learning the various phases of orcharding.  A year later, in 1915, he leased the home ranch from his father and operated it with success.  In the fall of 1920 he went to Arcata.  Humboldt County, where he was employed in the cattle business with the Minors.  In June 1921, he returned to the Summit, and a year later he purchased his father's ranch of seventy-five acres, which he devotes principally to the culture of prunes; he is a member of the California Prune and Apricot Association.

The marriage of Mr. Averill occurred in Oakland on February 24, 1915, being united with Sophie Larsen, a daughter of Ole and Anna (Hemmingsen) Larsen.  The father is now superintendent of the Mountain View Cemetery at Piedmont.  Mr. and Mrs. Averill are the parent of two children, Dorothy Catherine and Gladys Eley.  Mr. Averill is a member of the board of trustees of Summit school districts where he, as well as his mother, attended school.


Transcribed by Carolyn Feroben, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,  published by Historic Record Co. , 1922, page 1261

RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA HISTORY- THE VALLEY OF HEARTS DELIGHT