OSBORNE, M. D. Ph. D.
Bio- Pen Pictures
successful efforts that are being made at the present day for the amelioration
of the lot of the indigent, the insane, and the feeble-minded, are something of
which too much can hardly be said. It is only of late years that any general
attention has been paid to the subject. A number of learned and philanthropic
gentlemen, chiefly medical men, have studied the matter and by the rearing of
institutions for the care and treatment of the weak-minded, have accomplished a
good that is shown most clearly by the surprisingly great success that has been
met in relieving these mental disorders and in many cases entirely curing them.
Upon this coast the California Home for the Care and Training of Feeble-minded
Children, an institution located on the extreme western borders of the town of
Santa Clara, and which is described elsewhere in this volume, is a worthy
representative of what is being done. Though founded but a few years back, and
not yet as extensive as it will be later, it is acknowledged to be one of the
best managed and most successful on the continent, the appointments and
arrangements being admirable, and the most perfect system prevailing throughout.
superintendent is the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this article.
Dr. Osborne was born near Chester, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, February 23,
1856, his father, Mr. Antrim Osborne, being the proprietor of the Waterville
Woolen Mills. When the subject of this sketch was between five and six years of
age, his father purchased the Rose Valley Woolen Mills property, in the same
county, removing his family thither, and there Dr. Osborne received his
preliminary education, from private tutors and at the public schools. He next
attended the district Grammar School, going thence to the Pennsylvania State
College (military), in Center County. Here he took a four years’ course in
science, for two terms being the assistant of the professor of that department.
He next went to the University of Pennsylvania (Medical Department), graduating
March 12, 1877. For one year after this he remained at practice in
Philadelphia, at the same time pursuing a special course in the hospitals. He
then removed to Media, Pennsylvania, and began the practice of his profession.
In 1879 Dr. Osborne graduated in the Department of Philosophy, of the University
of Pennsylvania, taking the degree of Ph. D., being the youngest man to obtain
that degree at that time. While in Philadelphia Dr. Osborne was connected with
the Presbyterian and the Philadelphia Hospitals, and at this time was the first
resident physician to the Odd Fellows’ Home. Subsequently he became
semi-officially connected with the Pennsylvania Training School for the
feeble-minded. For the following eight years, in addition to his other
professional work, he occupied the chair of Natural Sciences in the Media
Academy, being also the organizer of the Department of Physical Culture, and
establishing a gymnasium.
1886, Dr. Osborne, having attracted general attention by his studies of the
subject of the care and treatment of the feeble-minded, was elected to succeed
Dr. B. T. Wood in the office of Superintendent of the California Home for the
Care and Training of Feeble-minded Children, assuming charge on December 1,
1886, proving himself the right man for the position by the admirable manner in
which he at once brought the institution to a high state of efficiency.
a thorough knowledge and a wide experience, he is creating a higher plane of
success. Dr. Osborne is the only physician engaged in this work on the Pacific
Coast, and is in charge of the only institution of the kind west of Nebraska.
Under his hands there are now 110 children, and there are fully 150 applications
for admission on file, waiting the completion of enlargements now contemplated.
was married on September 7, 1880, to Miss Margaret H. Paxton, the daughter of
Col. J. C. Paxton, of Marietta, Ohio. They have no children, but have adopted a
niece, who lives with them. Mrs. Osborne is the matron of the institution. Dr.
Osborne is a member of the Delaware County Medical Society, of the Pennsylvania
State Medical Society, of the National Medical Association, of the American
Association of Medical Superintendents, and of the Media Institute of Science.
He was also the organizer and the President of the Media Medical Club. By his
original researches and independent treatment of medical and scientific
subjects, he has made a name for himself in the line of new discoveries, and is
cited as an authority in the lines that he has made especially his own. He is a
hearty, whole souled gentleman, whom it is pleasant to meet, affable and
courteous, and a favorite with all. In church matters the doctor and his wife
are Presbyterians. He is also a member in good standing of the Masonic Order,
namely, of George W. Bartram Lodge, No. 298, Pennsylvania; of Howard Chapter,
No. 14, R.A. M., and San Jose Commandery, No. 10, K. T., in San Jose. He is
also a member of the I. O. O. F., and is District Deputy Grand Chancellor of the
Knights of Pythias. He is also a member of the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity, a
college society with a very large membership in this country.
family has been identified with the history of America since the Colonial times,
the Doctor’s branch of the family having settled at Danvers, Massachusetts, in
the early days of that town, and trace their record back to Norman days in
England and upon the continent. He is also one of the editors of the
interesting “Osborne Genealogical History,” the other two editors being resident
in New York city.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy
Dr. A. E. OSBORNE
SURNAMES: PAXTON, BLONDIN, HORST
A distinguished citizen of California long and eminently identified
with Santa Clara County, who has honored Los Gatos by his choice of
that attractive foothill town as the best place he knows for residence,
is the Hon. Antrim Edgar Osborne, M. D., Ph. D., the present efficient
and popular state senator whose influence in many fields and
directions, in the great work of building up the commonwealth, has been
so notable and far-reaching. He was born at Chester, Pa., on February
23, 1857, the son of Antrim Osborne, the proprietor of the Waterville
Woolen Mills and a descendant of one of the oldest and most historic
families of Northern Europe. Originally from Denmark, where the
progenitor's name was
Aashbjorn (meaning "The Bear on the Peninsula"), who was a mighty
warrior, and who lent his soldiers and military aid to William the
Conqueror in his conquest of England; the family become established in
the British Isles under the renowned name of Osborne, and many of the
descendants migrated to America, various branches in time adopting
different spellings, such as Osburn, Osbourne, Osborn, and Osbourn.
When Antrim was yet a boy of five or six years, his father became owner of the woolen mills at Rose Valley,
in the same county and thither removed with his family; there the lad
grew up, to go to the public school and be further instructed by privet
tutors. When not quite sixteen he passed the examination for West
Point, but declined admission to take up pre-medical studies and for
this purpose he was sent to the military academy known as the
Pennsylvania State College, in Center County, where he took a course of
four years in science and natural history, and soon showed such
exceptional proficiency that he was appointed assistant to the
professor in that department. He then went to the University of
Pennsylvania, where he pursued the regular medical course for three
years and was graduated on March 12, 1877, with the degree of M. D. For
the next year he remained in Philadelphia practicing medicine and at
the same time pursuing a special course in the hospitals, and then
removed to Media, Pa., and opened an office as a general practitioner.
His ambition, however, would not let him rest at that attainment, hence
he resumed post-graduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania and
in 1879 had conferred upon him by his Alma Mater the degree of Doctor
of Philosophy, being the youngest graduate, up to that time to receive
this marked academic degree in return for original research and
Dr. Osborne's experience as intern at the Presbyterian and the
Philadelphia hospitals in the City of Brotherly Love was of great value
to him, practicallyly as he began to specialize with nervous and mental
diseases in his practice of medicine. It was about that time that he
was the first resident physician at the Odd Fellows' Home, and later he
was semi-officially connected with the Pennsylvania Training School for
the Feeble-Minded. For the following eight years, in addition to his
other professional work, he occupied the chair of natural sciences in
the Media Academy, where he organized the department of physical
culture and established a gymnasium. By the middle eighties, Dr.
Osborne had attracted general attention through the results of his
profound study of the proper care and treatment of the feeble-mind ed,
and in October, 1886, he was appointed to succeed Dr. B. T. Wood as
medical superintendent of the California State Home for Feeble-Minded,
and for fifteen years he was secretary of its board of trustees. He
assumed charge on December 1, and proved himself the right man for the
position by the admirable manner in which he brought the institution to
a high state of efficiency. Later he was made medical superintendent of
the Napa State Hospital for the Insane and effected its thorough
reorganization. Since 1901, Dr. Osborne--who was long the only
physician engaged in his line of work on the Pacific Coast, and in
charge of the only private institution of the kind west of
Nebraska--has been the owner and director of Osbourne Hall, at Winchester, Santa Clara County;
an institution for the treatment of mental deficiencies. Prior to that
he had been professor of nervous and mental diseases in the College of
Physicians and surgeons in San Francisco, and he also held the same
post in the Oakland Medical College. He was also lecturer on nervous
and mental nursing in the Nurses Training School, and psychiatrist at
the O'Connor Sanitarium at San Jose.
On September 7, 1880, Dr. Osborne was married to Miss Margaret H.
Paxton, the daughter of Col. John C. Paxton, a Civil War veteran of
Marietta, Ohio. Mrs. Osborne, a lady of enviable accomplishments, has
proven a valuable coworker in the doctor's special field, sharing with
him his social activities and prestige. They have no children of their
own, but have adopted a niece, Agnes Blondin, now Mrs. William Horst,
Jr., of Santa Clara. Dr. Osborne has held membership in the Delaware
County (Pa.)Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society,
the American Medical Association, the American Association of Medical
Superintendents, and the Media Institute of Science, and he was also
the organizer and president of Media Medical Club. His original
researches and independent treatment of medical and scientific subjects
have made a name for him in the line of new discoveries, so that he has
frequently been cited as an authority in these lines particularly his
He is now active in the California State Medical Society, being for six
years a member of its council, and has twice been president of the
Santa Clara County Medical Society. He was one of the organizers of the
Consistory in San Jose and was very active in the building of the
Scottish Rite Temple there, which was erected when he was master of the
bodies. The Odd Fellows also claim him as a member and he has been
district deputy grand chancellor of the Knights of Pythias; his
memories of college days lead him back to the delightful secret
conclaves of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity.
A progressive Republican and public spirited to a marked degree. Dr.
Osborne has served two terms on the board of trustees of Santa Clara,
and he was formerly resident of the Sonoma Valley Board of Trade and
vice-president of the Commercial League of Santa Clara. He has been
chairman of the probation committee of the Juvenille Court in Santa
Clara County continuously since the court was established, and he
served as chairman of Draft Board No. 2 of Santa Clara County, during
the World War. On November 2, 1920, Dr. Osborne was elected to the
State Senate from the Twenty-seventh senatorial district, Santa Clara
County, having received the nomination of the Republican, Democratic
and socialist parties. He served vrey efficiently during the session
and introduced into the Senate the joint measure on conservation and
reforestation, which was duly passed and became a law.
Senator Osborne was particularly interested in all measures affecting
the home and general welfare, and in measures pertaining to the state
institutions, including charties and corrections, and civil service.He
served on the following committees; Civil service, conservation, county
government, hospitals and asylums, labor and capital, Normal schools,
public charities and corrections, public health and quarantine. This
public service is natural to one who modestly but properly appreciates
his own family lineage; for with two other editors, resident in New
York, he has been editing for years the extensive and very interesting
Osborne Genealogical History, which is related to the rise and
development of so many other representative families in America.
Dr. Osborne is an able physician and publicspirited citizen of
peculaiarly genial and attractive personality, and leads a life of
great usefulness for the world, justifying the conception of him by
many of his admiring friends and neighbors, that he is one of the first
citizens of the Golden State. Recently Dr.Osborne has removed to Los
Gatos and has taken up his residence at 121 Glen Ridge Avenue, where he
and his good wife continue to dispense a whole-hearted hospitality to
their many friends.
Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,
published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 570
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight