DR. ALBERT M. BARKER
SURNAMES: COLLINS, WING
Dr. Albert M.
Barker, formerly of the firm of Gunckel & Barker, dentists, at No. 17 South
First Street, San Jose, was born in Walworth County, Wisconsin, in 1859, and
when one year old his father removed to Dodge County, Minnesota. He attended
the local schools and worked on his father’s farm until 1875, when he came to
California, and settled in San Jose, where for three years he attended the
University of the Pacific. At the end of that time he began the study of
dentistry with Dr. Gunckel, with whom he was associated as pupil for three
years, when he became a partner in the business, which they conducted for seven
years, or until January 1, 1888, when he purchased Dr. Gunckel’s interest, and
has since continued the business alone. He was married, in 1884, to Miss Minnie
Wing, a native of Peoria, Illinois. He has a vineyard of forty acres
(interested with J. B. Wing) on the Saratoga and Mountain View road, about eight
miles from San Jose, all set out to wine grapes, and in bearing since 1887. He
has devoted himself exclusively and continuously to his business profession and
built up a large practice solely by his own exertions. His parents were Silas
and Mary (Collins) Barker, both natives of Potsdam, New York.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy