VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT
GEORGE C. ANDERSON
SURNAMES: STILLMAN, HAMIL,
Among the pioneer mercantile establishments of the Santa Clara Valley
that of the George C. Anderson and Brother Grocery Company stands well
to the front, their business at .324 East Santa Clara Street having
been established ;or more than thirty years. Born at St. Louis, Mo.,
December 23, 1870, he is a son of Henry H. and Caroline J. (Stillman)
Anderson, who came to California in 1875 and decided to make the
Santa Clara Valley their permanent home, engaging in the grocery
business and establishing a line of stores.
George C. Anderson was educated in the public schools of San Jose, but
his spare hours were spent in his father's store, thus early in life
his training began and he was soon put in charge of one of the stores.
When his father passed away in 1898, the stores were gradually disposed
of, and all efforts were centered on the great store in San Jose. For a
number of years, Mr. Anderson was engaged in the manufacture of Beech
Nut Jaffe. under the name of the Fig Prune Company, which he
established but disposed of to the California Beech Nut Company; later
he was the proprietor of the Mission Leather Drapery Company, which was
sold to a Los Angeles firm.
The marriage of Mr. Anderson occurred in San Jose and united him with
Miss Cora Hamil, whose parents came to California in the '60s. Mr.
Anderson takes great pride in the beautiful grounds surrounding their
home and preserves his health by personal care of his garden.
Fraternally, he is identified with the Woodmen of the World. He has
witnessed much of the growth and progress of this part of the state,
and has contributed to the prosperity and improvement of the city and
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 664
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's