The Valley of Heart's Delight


ALBERT SYLVESTER BACON
Dealer in Footwear- San Jose


SURNAMES:  Burt, Warren, Lord, Howe, Vickery

A citizen of San Jose who was loved by every one who came to know him for his true worth as a man, was the late Albert S. Bacon, founder of the establishment conducted under the firm name of A. S. Bacon & Son, dealers in footwear of all kinds.  Albert S. Bacon was born in Pitcairn, in the Adirondack Mountains in Northern New York, on December 27, 1854, the son of Albert and Angeline (Burt) Bacon, both of English descent.  On the paternal side he was connected with the illustrious family of General Warren.

Albert Sylvester was educated in the Gouveneur Seminary in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., completing his course at the age of eighteen.  He went to Baraboo, Wis., taught school and worked in the wheat fields for one year, then returned to New York and took up the study of law in the office of Judge E. H Neary, at Gouverneur, continuing for one year.  Evidently the life of a professional an did not appeal  to him and he went to New York City in 1874 and was employed by a mercantile concern there, later embarked in business for himself, in the old Fulton Market , for five years. 

After he moved to Potsdam, N.Y., he was united in marriage on December 27, 1879, with Miss Mary Lord, born in New York State and an able helpmate to this ambitious man.  They became the parents of six children; Sanford L., a partner and manager of the A. S. Bacon & Son Company in San Jose, who became a member of the firm in 1906 and who has ably assisted in building up a prosperous business.  Cora, married Eugene C. Howe, an instructor at Wellesley College; Ruth Lord died in infancy; Albert Sylvester, Jr., employed by the A. S. Bacon & Son Company.  These children were born in New York.  Ruth is the wife of Robert Vickery of San Jose; and Bruce Bacon is also employed in the shoe store.  The last two were born in San Jose.

In 1892  A.S. Bacon and his family migrated to California and settled in San Jose where he embarked in the shoe business and as the city grew, he developed a business widely known throughout the whole county for its dependable goods.  In 1906 he took his son, Sanford L., in as a partner and ever since the firm has been known as A. S. Bacon & Son and is located at 74 South Fourth Street.  Mr. Bacon could always be depended upon to do his duty by his fellowmen, aided in all civic movements for the good of the town and county, became prominent in social, business, political and church work  He was a Royal Arch Mason; was a Democrat in national politics through broadminded and nonpartisan in local affairs; he served as a member of the county and state central committee of his party and under its banner rendered all possible aid to elevate the standard of citizenship.  He served as a director of the Chamber of  Commerce and as president of the Merchants Association of San Jose.  But his greatest work was in connection with the Y. M .C. A., in which he was a director and also president of the board of directors for some years, and Trinity Episcopal Church, where he served twenty-two years as a vestry man and almost twenty years as senior warden, taking part in all church activities and giving hearty financial support to al programs of the church for many years.  He lived a Christian life and was a faithful friend to all who knew him and worked with him in carrying out the precepts of his creed, and at his passing on May 23, 1921, at San Jose, the city lost one of her most ardent workers for every good project for the elevation of social and moral standards.


Transcribed by Carolyn Feroben, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,  published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1072

RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORIC BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY AND GENEALOGY