Blacksmith- Saratoga, 1916
SURNAMES: FULG, JORGENSEN,
A native of Denmark Bertel Bertelsen was born in
Holstebro, Jutland, February 5, 1883, a son of Jens and Marie (Fulg)
Bertelsen, who reside on the farm in Denmark. Bertel was the third
oldest of their eight living children and after completing the
excellent schools, for which Denmark is famed, he apprenticed as a
blacksmith in his native place for three and a half years, after which
he followed his trade in different parts of Denmark until twenty-three
years of age, when he entered the Third Company, Fourth Regiment, of
the Danish Army, serving the required time and received his honorable
discharge. After this he engaged in blacksmithing on his own account
for a while, until he concluded to locate in California.
Selling out his belongings he arrived in the Golden State in March,
1913, and worked at his trade in Davis for four months. Locating in Los
Gatos in July, 1913, and in 1915 purchasing an interest in a shop in
Los Gatos, he sold out six months later and located in Saratoga on
February 9, 1916, buying out Wilson's blacksmith shop. He continues the
business of general blacksmithing and horseshoeing, his place being
equipped with power drills, lathes, etc.
Mr. Bertelsen was married in San Jose to Miss Laura Jorgensen, who was
born in this city, a daughter of P. T. Jorgensen, a pioneer contractor
and builder in San Jose. They are the parents of one child, Viola May.
Mr. Bertelsen is a member of the American Order of Foresters, the
Saratoga Lodge of Odd Fellows, and with his wife is a member of the
Rebekahs. He is also a member of the Saratoga Improvement Club, and is
past president of the San Jose Lodge of Dania.
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1592
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHY PROJECT
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight