THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT
C. E. BERRY
SURNAMES: KNAPP, REID, MEEKER,
Perhaps the earliest settler of Los Altos is C. E. Berry, who came
there before the railroad was built, when it was a part of a cattle
range. He was born in Maine on June 16, 1864, the son of David R. and
Ann R. (Knapp) Berry, both natives of Maine. The father first came to
California in early days with his brother-in-law, Charles Knapp, a
well-known and prominent citizen of Santa Cruz, and in 1876 Mr. Berry
brought his family to California. The Knapp family were among the
earliest settlers at Massachusetts Bay Colony and were of
Scotch-English ancestry, and on both sides were pre-Revolutionary
stock. Several families from Maine came to California with the Berrys
and settled at Watsonville, Santa Cruz County. Until he was twelve
years old, C. E. Berry lived most of the time
with an aunt in Boston, Mass., and went to school there; when his
family removed to California, he attended the schools at Watsonville.
He remained at home and helped on the ranch until he was twenty; the
family removed to San Jose about 1896.
Mr. Berry was married in San Jose to Miss Evaline Blois, a daughter of James Blois and a sister of J. B. Blois of Palo Alto, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume(see Below).
Soon after settling in San Jose he engaged in building fruit cars for
the railroad; then for six years he was with the Van Dorn Ice &
Cold Storage Company five years with H. Hart & Company in the ice
business in San Jose; meantime he had purchased a fifteen-acre ranch
near Los Altos, a portion of the Taaffe ranch, and immediately took up
the task of planting it to fruit; he also engaged in planting orchards
for others. He then started in the livery business and built a fine
barn, which he now uses for his transfer business. When autos and
trucks replaced horses, his barn was changed to a commercial garage; he
carries passengers and freight throughout the northern part of
California. For eight years he was deputy sheriff under Mr. Langford.
Mr. and Mrs. Berry are the parents of two children; C. Austin, married
Miss Grace Reid, resides in Palo Alto and works for Los Altos Grocery
Company; Homer G. is with the Stanford Laundry Company at Palo Alto. He
married Miss Genevieve Meeker and resides at Mayfield, and has one
child, Beatrice Betty Berry. Mr. Berry is a Republican in his politics
and he and his family are highly respected citizens of Los Altos.
from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922 page 1192
J. BYRON BLOIS
SURNAMES: LIVELY, SMITH,
An interesting self-made man who is a master of the laundering industry
and the director of the most important enterprise in that field in Palo
Alto, is J. Byron Blois, manager of the Stanford Laundry, and prominent
in Masonic circles. He was born at Glenwood, Cal., on August 1, 1884,
the son of a farmer, James Blois, a native of Nova Scotia, where he
married Miss Elizabeth Lively, also of that Down East coast country.
They migrated to California soon after their marriage, and came to have
ten children, eight of whom are still living. From his third month our
subject, who was the sixth in the order of birth, grew up on his
father's farm near San Jose, and he attended the public school in the
Orchard district. He also went to the San Jose Business College, where
he took a commercial course, graduating in June, 1900, and then he
became assistant bookkeeper in the Red Star Laundry at San Jose. Four
years later he entered the laundry proper as a laundry worker in order
to learn the operating end of the business, and thus acquired a
thorough knowledge of all the ins and outs of the business.
In 1906 he became the outside representative, and had charge of all the
territory in Santa Clara County north of the city of Santa Clara,
including Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Los Gatos, Mayfield, Stanford
University and Palo Alto, the business requiring four autos to take
care of it.
In the meantime, having become well acquainted with J. B. Leaman, Sr.,
and J. B. Leaman, Jr., he formed a partnership with the latter, and as
Blois & Leaman bought out the Stanford Laundry, formerly owned by
Fairfield & Schutte; and under the excellent management of Mr.
Blois, this laundry has come to be strictly up to date. it is
excellently lighted, clean and sanitary, and so arranged that all its
business is transacted with safety and dispatch. It has four
auto-delivery wagons, and improvements are being made in its outfit
right along. Two new flat-work ironers of most up-to-date design have
recently been installed, the larger alone costing some $6,000. Three
new thoroughly modern washing machines and one extractor have also been
put in, and a $5,000 water softener system has been installed. The
laundry also has, good first-aid facilities. "Quality and Service" is
the motto of the Stanford Laundry, and they have never failed, as
practical ideals, to be realized. Mr. Blois is secretary of the Laundry
Owners' Club of Santa Clara County, and an active member of the state
and national Laundry Owners' Associations. The present firm own the
property at the corner of Forest Avenue and Ramona Street and it is
especially adapted for laundry use.
Mr. Blois was married in 1905 to Miss Pearl M. Smith, born in South
Dakota, of whom he was bereaved in April, 1910, the mother of one son,
Robert Byron. He was married again at San Jose in October, 1911, to
Miss Edna May Torbert, of Woodland, where her people are members of the
oldest and most esteemed circles. This union has been blessed with
three children: Molly Julietta and Edward James, twins, and Betty May.
The family reside in their own home on Middlefield Road, Palo Alto. Mr.
Blois is a member of the Palo Alto Parlor N. S. G. W. Both husband and
wife belong to the Grace Baptist Church at San Jose, and also to the
Eastern Star at Palo Alto, in which Mrs. Blois is chaplain. Mr. Blois
was made a Mason in San Jose Lodge No. 10 F. & A. M., later
admitted to Palo Alto Lodge No. 346, F. & A. M. He is a member of
Palo Alto Chapter No. 93, R. A. M. and of Palo Alto Commandery No. 47,
K. T., as well as all the bodies of the Scottish Rite at San Jose,
Islam Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. San Francisco and the Stanford
University Masonic Club. He is a member director in the Palo Alto
Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. He organized the Pyramid of
Ancient Egyptian Order of Sciots in Palo Alto on January 26, 1921, and
was made its first Toparch; and on September 16, 1921, he was elected
for another year.
from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922 page 986
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight