B. S. FOX
Bio- Pen Pictures
Mr. B. S. Fox, who,
as we have stated, came out in 1852 with the nursery stock of Commodore
Stockton, severed his connection with the commodore the next year, and
established a nursery of his own on the Milpitas road. This is now known as the
“Santa Clara Valley Nurseries and Botanical Gardens.” He had with him Thomas
Egan, and the nurseries were first known as B. S. Fox’s Nurseries. At first
there were one hundred and twenty-six acres, and it was the largest tract
devoted to this business on the coast; the acreage was still further increased
by the acquisition of more land, until it contained over two hundred acres. Mr.
Fox was an Irishman by birth, and a thorough botanist. When he first came to
America he procured an engagement with Charles Hovey, the well-known nurseryman
of Cambridge, Massachusetts. When Commodore Stockton was looking for a
competent man to take charge of his California nursery, Mr. Fox was recommended
to him, and was engaged for the position. This was a fortunate circumstance for
Santa Clara County. He was not only a pioneer fruit man, but a man of great
scientific knowledge, and an untiring student. To his experiments we owe three
of the finest varieties of pears now cultivated, the P. Barry, the B. S. Fox,
and the Colonel Wilder, which have been place in the front rank by the opinions
of the leading pomologists of America. His magnificent orchard was developed
from the nursery, and was not planted so much for growing fruit for profit as to
test the varieties which he was offering for sale. To his enthusiasm Santa
Clara County owes much of her early horticultural development. Mr. Fox died in
July, 1881, at Council Bluffs, Iowa, while on his way to visit his early home.
His nurseries were left to his nephew, R. D. Fox, a biographical sketch of whom
appears in this book, and who has since conducted the business with an
intelligence that has maintained the reputation it attained under the
administration of his uncle.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler