Since coming to San Martin in 1908, Chris Rasmussen has done much
toward the upbuilding of this section, for in addition to developing
his own ranch, he has done a great deal of work for others 'in the line
of orchard planting and taking care of orchards, operating every season
both with horses and Yuba tractors. Mr. Rasmussen is a native of
Denmark, born near Aarhus, on May 9, 1880, his parents being R. P. and
Mary (Vester) Rasmussen, both members of well-known families of that
part of Denmark. The father stood high as a teacher, and he gave his
son the opportunity of schooling in good educational institutions. Mrs.
Rasmussen passed away in 1896, but the father is still living at Aarhus
at the age of seventy-nine.
The fourth child of the family, Chris Rasmussen first was employed
three years in the hardware business, after his school days were over.
In 1900-01 he served in the Danish Army as a corporal in an infantry
regiment, training at Aarhus. After his military training was over he
decided to migrate to the United States, and in 1903, arrived in
Mitchell County, Iowa, a stranger in a strange land, but ambitious to
give his best efforts to making a success in the new land. For a time
he worked out on farms, saving his money meanwhile, and in March, 1906,
came on west to California, locating at Fresno, and for a short time
worked on a ranch, and then entered the sawmill business at Shaver,
then came to San Francisco.
In 1908 Mr. Rasmussen came to the Santa Clara Valley, and purchased a
tract of thirteen acres on Church Avenue, San Martin, which he
developed into a valuable property, four acres being in Royal Anne
cherries. Here he made his home for six years, until the coming of his
brother, R. U. Rasmussen, to this section. Disposing of this place to
his brother, they purchased a larger ranch and there the three brothers
reside, as Mr Rasmussen is also connected with the farm. The place
consists of twenty acres on Colombet Avenue, all being set to fruit
trees. Efficient and hard working, he has given his orchard the best of
care and is now rewarded by its excellent returns. In 1922 R. U. and M.
Rasmussen purchased a thirteen and one-half acre ranch of young
orchards, on Church Avenue. A loyal citizen of his adopted country, Mr.
Rasmussen received his final citizenship papers in San Francisco in
1912. He belongs to the California Prune and Apricot Association, and
in politics is a Republican.
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1130
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHY PROJECT
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight