HISTORY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY 538

CLAUDE REDWINE
MOUNTAIN VIEW GARAGE




SURNAMES:  HATCHETT, MARTIN,

Perhaps no family in recent years has added so much to the business, social and political life of Mountain View as has the Redwine family, and Claude Redwine is a worthy representative of this useful and prominent family. Born at Marshall, Searcy County, Ark., January 27, 1886, he is the son of Simon L. and Susan (Hatchett) Redwine, the former born at Marshall, Ark., in 1860, and the latter a native of Leslie, Ark. The family removed to Texas and there Claude grew up, receiving his education in the grammar schools and later attending the high school of Fort Worth; after graduation he entered the Polytechnic Business College and received his technical training that later became so valuable. Both parents reside in Mountain View, as do also the four children; Claude, L. Clyde, and the two daughters, Leslie and Lesta.


Before settling in Mountain View Claude Redwine was employed at the Watsonville Garage in Watsonville, Cal., for five years, and thoroughly learned the automobile trade and became a first-class garage man and machinist, able to handle all kinds or repair work. He removed to Mountain View in 1913 and purchased the Mountain View Garage from C. N. Higdon, and through hard work and giving first-class service his business grew and expanded so that the next year, needing more capital and a greater capacity for handling his business, the firm was enlarged by taking in his father, S. L. Redwine, and his brother, L. Clyde Redwine, the old name being retained.

The office and sales force consist of nine persons and the firm has a large, well-equipped and up-to-date machine shope, with good machinists, ready and able to do all kinds of auto, truck and tractor work on short notice. They deal in the Ford line of autos, trucks and tractors, John Deere and Oliver plows, harrows and cultivators; also tires and tubes, batteries, acetylene welding, oils, gas, greases and a full line of Ford and Fordson accessories and extras. The business of the Mountain View Garage has increased to such an extent that a larger building was erected in 1918. The new well-equipped garage and machine shop, 75x150 feet, is a very busy place, and enjoys a large patronage. The senior Redwine has full charge of the office, while Claude and L. Clyde Redwine attend to the sales department and have charge of the shop.

Mr. Redwine returned to Texas in 1918 and married Miss Jeannette Martin of Clarendon, Texas. They reside at 483 Hope Street, Mountain View, and are the parents of one child, June. Mrs. Redwine is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Redwine was first elected and served as a member of the board of trustees of Mountain View in 1918, and served for the two-year term, and in 1920 was reelected under the new law, which provides for a four-year term, and was chosen chairman of the board. Ever busy and efficient, he brings his best efforts to bear for the good of Mountain View, which has its own municipal water works, the water being pumped from three wells by means of steam and electric power; it also has its own library and city hall, and a volunteer fire department with two fire trucks. Next to Palo Alto, it has the lowest rate of city taxation of any city in northern Santa Clara County, one outstanding feature being that street paving is paid for out of the genreal fund, and the city's bonded indebtedness is very low, being only six per cent of the assessed valuation as against fifteen per cent allowed by law.

Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,  published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 538


RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

GO TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY AND GENEALOGY