THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT
ALBERT T. DE FOREST
SURNAMES: SUYDAM, WEST
A remarkable man, qualified, through native ability, special
training and exceptionally fortunate business and social connections,
to handle enterprises and responsibilities of the first magnitude, is
Albert T. De Forest, who resides at 950 University Avenue, Palo Alto.
He was born in Cleveland, on June 4, 1863, and in that city grew up and
was active in business circles until 1903. Owing to his father's early
death, he passed through a boyhood and youth darkened through many
hardships, and received at best only a partial high school training.
There were three children in the family, but he was the only one that
lived to maturity. His father was Lewis Germain De Forest, and he was
also a native of. Cleveland. The grandfather, Tracy Robinson De Forest,
was a native of New York State, and came to Cleveland in 1832, where he
was a United States steamboat inspector for several years. Lewis G. De
Forest was a dealer in jewelry at Cleveland. He married Teressa Suydam,
who was born and married in Cleveland, and she lived to be seventy-six
years old, and passed peacefully away in May, 1919, at the home of her
son in Palo Alto, beloved and respected by all who knew her.
At the early age of fifteen, Albert De Forest went to work to earn a
living in the steel and wire mills in Cleveland, and in time became
secretary of the H. P. Nail Company, makers of wire nails, which
concern later became part of the American Steel and Wire Company of
Cleveland, when Mr. De Forest was district manager for the Cleveland
district. At Cleveland, in 1888, Mr. De Forest was married to Miss
Lettie West, a daughter of Henry B. West, well known hotel man of
Cleveland and Put-in-Bay Island, and in 1903, with his wife and
daughter, and his mother, he came out to San Francisco to take charge
of the sales of the subsidiary companies of the U. S. Steel
Corporation. The next year, 1904, he came to Palo Alto and became
interested in the building of the Peninsular Railway from Palo Alto to
Alum Rock Park, an electric line, now a part of the Southern Pacific
Railroad System. John F. Parkinson was the main projector of this road,
but Mr. De Forest acquired an active interest. Now he has an office in
the Rialto Building in San Francisco, and being associated with the U.
S. Steel Products Company, he has charge of their sales for the states
of Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, California, Washington and Northern Idaho.
In 1907, he built for himself an elegant residence, and he owns a
valuable ranch property south of Mayfield, which he manages as a dairy
and fruit farm, taking a live interest, as a true country gentleman, in
the details of its operation. Mr. De Forest is a member of the Blue
Lodge Masons, the Chapter in Palo Alto, and the Cornmandery, and to the
Council and the Scottish Rites bodies at San Francisco. He was chairman
of the Salvage Bureau of the Red Cross during the late war, and his
jurisdiction included the entire state.
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1191
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight