California Iron Works- San Francisco


Bio- Sawyers

A pharmacist of wide experience, whose close application to work during many years enabled him to retire in comfort is David Wight, a native son, who was born in Vallejo, on February 5, 1860, the son of David Wight, an honored pioneer who passed away in San Jose on May 25, 1919. He was reared and schooled in Glasgow, Scotland, the city of his birth, and he became an engineer, coming to California as first assistant engineer of the steamer Fremont around Cape Horn to San Francisco in 1851, following his trade after he came to California for about three years on the Pacific Mail Steamer. He married Miss Nicholas Douglas, who was also born in Scotland, and she passed away on June 18, 1920, at her home on Willows Street. They had six children, all of whom are still living, and among them our subject was the fourth.

David Wight became well-known as an engineer in the Bay City, and in 1854 he removed to Vallejo, and assisted in the great work of constructing the Navy Yard. Indeed, to him belonged the distinction of having driven the first pile needed in that pretentious work. At the conclusion of his service, he returned to San Francisco and there founded the California Iron Works. The year 1870 brought severe reverses to the family, and they then removed to San Jose. David Wight, Sr., took charge of the iron foundry, owned by John and Donald McKenzie, and located at the corner of First and  San Antonio streets, San Jose; and he also invested in a small home-place in The Willows. Later, he became manager for Joseph Enright, who was engaged in the manufacture of straw-burning threshing engines. Mr. Wight lived to the ripe old age of eighty-nine.

David Wight, Jr., had the advantages of the public schools of San Jose. In 1876, at the age of sixteen, he entered the employ of Rhodes & Lewis, pharmacists on South First Street, San Jose, and began the study of pharmacy; he then entered the California College of Pharmacy, and was graduated by the University of California in 1882. After serving as a pharmacist in various cities in California he became the manager for Grenell & Beaumont, continuing in that capacity for five years, and there he was one of the organizers of the McKenney Drug Company and established a pharmacy on South First Street. He was vice-president and director and continued to give his services as pharmacist to the business until they sold out to the Wolfe Drug Company in 1898. Since he quit his profession he is engaged as horticulturist. In San Jose in 1886 Mr. Wight married Miss Susie E. Cottle, the only surviving daughter of the late Ira Cottle, the pioneer and orchardist, who came to California in 1854. Mr. Wight is a member of Fraternity Lodge No. 399. F. & A. M., and is a member of San Jose Consistory of Scottish Rite, is a member of the 0. E. S.; he is also a member of the Odd Fellows and the Rebekahs; and Mrs. Wight belongs to the Eastern Star and the Rebekahs. Mr. and Mrs. Wight have built for themselves a beautiful residence on a fine portion of the Ira Cottle estate, which they retained, while they disposed of the rest of the choice prune orchard at the corner of Minnesota and Lincoln avenues in the Willow district, and out of this has been created the handsome Lincoln Park.
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,  published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1048


SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight