The Valley of Heart's Delight


EDWARD AND AUGUSTA SCHLAUDT
GREENHOUSE GROWERS
FLORISTS

HISTORY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY 564

SURNAMES:  HOEFFMER, KENDALL, HILMS, HIAM,

Among the many capable and thriving horticulturalists of Santa Clara County. Edward Schlaudt, of San Jose, holds a noteworthy position. A man of versatile talents, energetic and progressive, he has met with good success in his business operations, and is everywhere respected as a citizen of worth and integrity. To his wife, who is an equal partner in the successful florist business located at 119 South Second Street, Mr. Schlaudt accords the honor of being the founder and manager of this flourishing business.


Edward Schlaudt was born March 13, 1860, at Lawrenceburg, Ind., the son of George Phillip and Christine Schlaudt, both natives of Germany, where
they were reared and married; the father, who was employed in a furniture factory at Lawrenceburg,  lived to be seventy-eight, and the mother seventy- five. They were the parents of seven children, of whom Edward was the fourth; two brothers had removed to Kansas, one of the brothers, Henry, had established a shoe store, and while on a visit to his home in Lawrenceburg, had told such glowing stories of the advantages of Kansas, that when he was ready to return, his brother, Edward, went with him and became interested with his brother in the shoe business in Topeka, and was thus engaged for seven years. Previous to his removal to Kansas, he had worked in the factory which employed his father.

The marriage of Mr. Schlaudt in 1880 united him with Miss Augusta Hoeffmer, and they are the parents of three children; Mrs. Mabel Kendall of San Jose; Chester E., who attends to the nursery and greenhouses, married Miss Minto Helms; Merl is the wife of Jerry Hiam, and they are residents of San Francisco.

In 1881 Mr. and Mrs. Schlaudt came to San Jose, and in 1882 Mrs. Schlaudt conceived the idea of raising flowers for market, while Mr. Schlaudt was engaged in the trade of carpentry. During his spare moments, a small greenhouse was constructed. Mrs. Schlaudt worked with intelligence, energy and a determination that meant success, and soon Mr. Schlaudt was called upon to build the second greenhouse, and as the business prospered, more were built, until at the present time there are seven greenhouses on lands contiguous to their nursery and adjacent to their residence at 625 North Second street, San Jose. Seven years ago they started a retail store across from their present location, but very soon they found it too small, so in South Second Street and their business has grown to fine proportions. They carry a fine stock of cut flowers, frames, ornaments, flower seeds, vegetable plants, potted and flowering plants, and are prepared to make floral designs for weddings, funerals and other occasions, and enjoy a large patranage. They own considerable valuable property, which is increasing in value steadily, and are associated as stockholders in the Nucleus Building and  Loan Association; also in the Farmers' Union Bank of San Jose. Mr. Schlaudt is a stanch Republican, serving on the election board of the nineteenth precinct of San Jose for twenty years, consecutively.

Fraternally he is a member of the Elks, eagles, Fraternal Brotherhood, Odd Fellows and Woodmen of the World. His son, Chester E. is a member of the Masons and Mrs. Schlaudt is a member of the  Eastern Star and the Rebekahs; also of the Woman's Relief Corps. The family are consistent and honored members of the Grace Lutheran Church of San Jose. Mr. and Mrs. Schlaudt are broad-minded, public-spirited, honored by all who know them, and  popular because of their many amiable traits.


Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,
 published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page page 564

SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY