The Valley of Heart's Delight

E.J. WILCOX, SR.-Pioneer Businessman of San Jose

Was born in Middletown, Conn., in 1829. He was the fourth son of a family
of eight sons and five daughters. He remained at home most of the time on
his father's farm until 1852. In August of that year he married Sarah,
eldest daughter of Captain Henry McKee, of Cromwell, Conn. Captain McKee
and son J.O., were then in San Jose, Cal. In October following accompanied
by his wife and the remainder of Captain McKee's family, he sailed for
California in the clipper ship Flying Dutchman, by way of Cape Horn, and
arrived in San Jose Feb. 3, 1853, where he was engaged two years in
farming. In 1856 he entered into partnership with Hatler & Williams in the
grocery business, where Paul Block now stands. He remained there a few
months, and then sold his interest to Nicholas Hayes. He then purchased
one-half interest in the Morgan House, corner of First and San Fernando
street, with W.O. Barker as partner. As the expiration of a few months
Newton Johnson succeeded Mr. Baker, and shortly after sold his interest to
Mr. Wilcox, who continued in the hotel business until 1871, when the old
building was removed and was replaced by the building now known as Wilcox
Block. In September of the same year he purchased McGowan's interest in the
boot and shoe firm of McGowan & Colburn, and removed into the new block.
Mr. Colburn soon after sold his interest to Mr. Wilcox, and he has remained
in the business ever since.

The Pioneer, published San Jose, Saturday, February 25, 1882

transcribed by jchavnar