ED. R. GREEN
First National Bank of Gilroy
An able financier and a man of excellent judgment, Ed. R.
Green has firmly established himself as a leader in the progressive
community of Gilroy since coming here in 1912 as the cashier and one of
the organizers of the First National Bank of Gilroy: Mr. Green was born
at Malden, Bureau County, Ill., on October 20, 1874, the son of Timothy
F. Green, a prominent farmer who pioneered in Illinois. Kansas, and
Nebraska. In 1880, the family removed from Illinois to Horton, Kans.,
and there Ed. R. Green finished his education. In 1890, they took up
their residence at Audubon, Iowa, where he accepted his first position
as clerk and delivery boy with a general merchandise store, which he
filled to the satisfaction of his employer.
The year 1897 marked Mr. Green's entrance into the banking business,
when he became associated with a private banking house at Dow City,
Iowa, and he soon rose to the position of cashier, continuing there
until 1901. He then removed to Overton, Nebr., where he assisted in
organizing the Alfalfa State Bank of which he became cashier. Later Mr.
Green became affiliated with such men as A. U. Dann, W. T. Auld and N.
J. Paul, among the most successful bankers of Nebraska, in the purchase
of the Alfalfa State Bank and the organization of the First National
Bank of Overton, Mr. Green becoming cashier. This association was of
much value to Mr. Green, in the broadening understanding and conception
of the world of finance. He remained at Overton until the fall of 1911,
when he came to Gilroy, Cal., through the solicitation of J. S. Adair.
In April, 1912, the First National Bank of Gilroy opened its doors,
with Mr. Green as cashier, and having a capital stock of $25,000. By
1915 so successful had the organization become that it was necessary to
increase the capital stock to $75,000, the officers at this time being
H. S. Hersman, president; C. C. Lester, vice-president; E. R. Green,
cashier; in the following twenty-eight months the business showed an
increase of 578 per cent. The building which houses this successful
banking house was designed by William Binder of San Jose and was
erected by William Radtke, at a cost of $40,000, a $15.000 addition
being erected early in 1920 to accommodate its growth. In 1918 a merger
was consummated with the Garden City Bank & Trust Company of San
Jose by which the Gilroy Bank became a branch of the parent bank, a
move that was productive of much increased business, the deposits
growing from a half million to over a million dollars in a few months.
The advisory board consists of E. R. Green, chairman; H. C. Hagen,
Welburn Maycock, A. W. Brown, Cecil Carlyle and A. W. Chesbro, Mr.
Green being manager of the bank and responsible for the direction of
its financial policy.
At Denison, Iowa, Mr. Green was married to Miss Emma Downes, the
daughter of Mrs. Lucy Downes, who passed away at Gilroy in September,
1920. A capable, talented woman, Mrs. Green has taken an active
interest in the social and civic life of Gilroy and served as treasurer
of the Woman's Civic Club soon after it was founded and is a member of
the P. E. 0. Society. Prominent in Masonic circles, Mr. Green is a
member of Keith Lodge No. 187 of Gilroy, and Howard Chapter, R. A. M.,
and of San Jose Commandery K. T. He is a member of the Presbyterian
Church at Gilroy. A leader in all community enterprises, he gives his
support to the Republican party in political affairs.
From Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 1152
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHY PROJECT
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight