Three miles west of Santa Clara, on the Homestead Road, lies the finely improved ranch of ninety acres of Frank Kenyon, the son of that worthy pioneer, James Monroe Kenyon. When the father first located upon this land in 1850, having come to California the year previous; he settled as a squatter, and on discovering that it was private property, bought 242 acres. He was born in Ohio on the banks of the Ohio River just opposite the town of Vanceburg. His father, Jonathan Kenyon, came to Ohio when a young man, and locating in Adams County followed agricultural pursuits until his death. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812, and while a resident of Ohio he acted as a justice of the peace and a lawyer. He married Sarah Stratton, a daughter of Aaron Stratton, a native of Virginia and a soldier in the War of 1812, who removed to the Blue Grass state and engaged in the manufacture of salt; he was an extensive slave owner and prominent in the community.

Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Kennedy were the parents of seven sons, James Monroe being next to the youngest. He received a fair education in the public schools and meantime helped his father on the farm until he was sixteen years old, when he was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade. After completing his trade he contracted throughout Adams County and in Cincinnati, then engaged in his trade in various parts of Missouri until 1849, when he started for California, making the trip with ox teams. In Spring of 1850 he entered the mines, where he remained until the next fall, when he came to Santa Clara Valley; later purchased the property on which Frank Kenyon now resides. In Missouri he married Martha Roberts, the daughter of Woodford Roberts. They were the parents of six children, of whom only three are living; James M. resides at Saratoga; Emma is now Mrs. Slavens and resides at Santa Clara; and Frank, of this sketch.

A native of Santa Clara County, Frank Kenyon was born on the old Kenyon home place March 1, 1861, and went to school at Milligan Corners, later attending private school of Mr. Collins at Santa Clara. He then assisted his father on the ranch, which was mostly in grain. When the father passed away, the ranch was divided among the children, Frank Kenyon receiving ninety-one acres as his portion of the estate. Of this all but twenty acres is in orchard. Fifty acres have been divided among his children, and the balance he retains as his home.

On April 18, 1883, in Linn County, Ore., Mr. Kenyon married Miss Martha Wheeler, a native of Albany, Ore.
Her father was a native of Vermont, who came to Oregon in 1857 via the Isthmus of Panama; after his arrival in Oregon he engaged in teaching the later bought a ranch and farmed. Mrs. Kenyon began her education in Oregon, but finished it in Santa Clara. They are the parents of six children ; Harvey, residing at Mountain View; Alfred W.; Anna; Harriet, Mrs. Meston, resides at Victoria, B. C.; Frank Jr.; and Elizabeth. In his political affiliations, Mr. Kenyon is a Republican.

Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,
 published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 529