HISTORY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY 525

GRENVILLE C. EMERY.--A.R., Litt. D.
EDUCATOR


SURNAMES: JONES, PIKE, DOWNING, MONROE,  DOLD, 

The teaching profession has ever attracted to itself the leading men of every age and generation, and will doubtless continue to do so. The splendid opportunities offered for men of unusual capabilities, and the ever-increasing need for men of superior ability and strength of purpose, make this field one of unusual interest and opportunities. Among the most prominent educators of the secondary schools in the state of California must be mentioned the name of Grenville C. Emery, the headmaster emeritus of the Harvard School (Military) of Los Angeles, Cal., of which he is the founder. In collaboration with William F. Bradbury, headmaster of the Cambridge Latin School, he edited a series of algebras which are still used, not only in Boston schools, but in many otehr important educational centers of the East, also in the Harvard School of Los Angeles, and in the Seale Academy.

He was born in Ripley, Maine, July 19, 1843, a son of John G. Emery, of English descent and of Welsh extraction on his mother's side. His father married Miss Mary Stanley Jones, born in New Hampshire, and was from prominent pre-Revolutionary stock; he came around the Horn to California in 1849. As early as 1847 he had constructed the rairoad through Lewiston, Maine, and was a prominent and active business man. He returned to Maine from California and engaged in the mercantile business; farming also engaged his attention. Mr. and Mrs. Emery were the parents of four children, of whom Grenville C. Emery is the youngest, and the only survivor. He began his education in the public schools of his native town; later attended the Corinna Union Academy, of which his father was a trustee; upon graduating from this institution.

Doctor Emery's first marriage united him with Miss Ella Pike, of Livermore Falls, Me., and they were the parents of seven children, of whom only two are living.
Laura J. Emery and Mrs. Ellen Emery Downing of Los Angeles, Cal. Mrs. Emery passed away December 22, 1913, at Los Angeles. His second marriage occurred December 22, 1920, when he was united with Mrs. Katherine D. Monroe, nee Dold, a native of Kentucky, born, reared and educated in the schools of Louisville. She is the parent of one son by her first marriage, Charles Mattison Monroe, a student at Seale Academy. After graduating from Bates College, Doctor Emery accepted a position as teacher in the Boston Latin School the oldest school in America with a continuous history. Doctor Emery was matter in this school for fifteen years and rose to be head of the department of mathematics.

Doctor Emery is the founder of the Harvard School (Military) of Los Angeles. The history of the school really began in 1849, when the father of its founder mounted the stage-coach in Maine, and finally reached California around Cape Horn, to mine for gold, and to drink in the wonderful possibilities and beauties of the state for the pleasure and enchantment of his family on his return to the East two years later. The cornerstone was laid in 1900. The founder, cherishing and treasur-
ing up this boyhood knowledge, had come at last from the oldest and most renowned school in the United States, the famous Boston Latin School, to build up in Los Angeles a school which might have the right to claim, in general, not only equality with the old school, but also, perhaps, in many things, superiority. Its motto
carved on the proscenium arch of the handsome ass-embly hall, which is, as it were, the heart of the Harvard School, is:
"To thine own self be true.
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."
In the words of Doctor Emery are found the true
aim of the founder: "My aim was to found a decent
school. I like that word 'decent'; it means a great
deal and is a favorite adjective of President Roose-
velt." The Harvard School is intended to fit boys for
college, for technical school, and for business
careers. Its legal name is "The Harvard School
Upon the Emery Foundation."

During the year of 1920 Doctor Emery removed
to Palo Alto, under the eaves of Stanford University,
for the purpose of establishing the Seale Academy, a school of like aims and character as that of the Harvard School. The old Seale mansion and estate, with its beautiful lawns, quiet pathways and avenues, and wealth of old trees and beautiful shrubbery and flowers, was selected as a desirable site for the school.
The buildings consist of Seale Hall, Colonial Hall, Gymnasium Hall, the Chemical Building, and the Gymnasium proper. It is the policy of the school to make physical training quite as thorough as mental training. Of the fifteen-acre campus, eight acres are a wooded park and the remaining seven acres are clear, and wholly given over to the drill, the sports, and the games, the municipal swimming pool being at an easy distance. All the games and sports, and the drill, are taught by competent men. Military drill is the best form of exercise that has been discovered, which can be practiced by the whole school all the time with so much physical and all-round educational gain for each individual boy. The Seale academy has become an accredited school, and its graduates are admitted to the University of California and to Stanford University without examination upon the recommendation of the head-master. The courses of study conform in all essentials to those of the best high and grammar schools of the state. There is an enrollment of about fifty lads, and a bright and prosperous future is predicted for the Seale Academy, which is creditably filling a long-felt need.

Doctor Emery is one of the ablest teachers of mathematics in the secondary schools of the state, as well as one of the best-known and most successful instructors of boys in the country. Mrs. Emery is an  accomplished, cultured woman, who enters heartily into the work of building up the school and occupies the important position of treasurer. Doctor and Mrs. Emery have expended much energy and a large amount of money to increase the efficiency and influence of Seale Academy, and what is more, they propose to give their lives to this work.

As a fitting close to this interesting biographical sketch of this noted instructor are his own words:
"Perhaps the most potent elements in our efforts for the accomplishment of the training of boys is the memory of our own boy who has passed beyond, but whom we hoped to educate highly in all the essentials which go to make up true manhood. Being deprived of this, we try to exercise just the same vigilance and care in the education of our neighbor's sons as we had hoped to bestow upon our own flesh and blood."
Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,  published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 525

SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORIC BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY AND GENEALOGY