GEORGE S. RAWLINGS
Pearl Avenue Resident since 1866
Trustee of the Valley View School District
SURNAMES: SNODGRASS, ROGERS,
It is given to few re-sidents of California to have had a record of
living for more than fifty-six years on the same piece of land and to
have actively engaged in its cultivation. To George S. Rawlings belongs
this honor, as since 1866 he has been on his present place on Pearl
Avenue, south of San Jose.
He is a native of Claysville, Harrison County, Ky., and was born there
April 21, 1843, the son of Ashel and Jane (Snodgrass) Rawlings, both
natives of the Blue Grass state and pioneers there. The father was a
machinist and engineer, and in 1853 the family removed to Quincy, Ill.,
where both of the parents passed away. A stanch defender of his
country, Grandfather Rawlings lost his life in the Indian War in 1812.
His parents having both died by the time George Rawlings had reached
his eleventh year, most of his education was gained in the school of
experience, and at the age of twelve he was plowing and working in the
corn fields. In 1863 he came across the plains to Nevada with mule
teams, and during 1863-64 he mined at Austin. He made a short visit to
California about this time and in the spring of 1866 he came by stage
to San Jose. On May 10, that year, he went to work on the 190-acre
ranch where he has since lived, being employed by its owner, John G.
Roberts, for five years. He was afterwards married to Mr. Roberts'
daughter, Florence Minerva Roberts, a native daughter and at the death
of her father she inherited one-third of the homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. Rawlings became the parents of five children: John A.,
William E., Georgia E., Norma E., deceased, and Adele F. Two
grandchildren, Jean and Muriel Rawlings, have brought joy to their
grandparents. For more than half a century a resident of this
neighborhood, Mr. Rawlings has contributed much to its development by
his industry and public-spiritedness and has seen the transformation of
the large fields of grain to very productive orchards, and himself has
aided in this work. He helped organize Valley View School district and
served three terms as a trustee. He also aided in getting the paved
highway on Almaden Road, and for twenty years he has given his services
as deputy assessor. Politically he has always been an adherent of the
Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 526
SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORIC BIOGRAPHIES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY AND GENEALOGY