DR. H. C. MOREY
Real Estate Business
SURNAMES: ATKINS, HOBBS,
of the real-estate firm of Morey & Rogers, came to Gilroy in
August, 1867, for the purpose of pursuing the practice of his
profession and securing a climate more favorable to health. Dr. Morey
is a native of New York State, born in Oneida County, August 15, 1826,
his parents being John and Fannie (Atkins) Morey. His father was a
Methodist minister. When the doctor was four years of age, the family
removed to Ohio, where the father was engaged in ministerial labors,
and at the age of twelve years they removed to Illinois, locating in
Fulton County. He received his education there and commenced the study
of medicine under the guidance of Dr. Lance, of Marietta, Fulton
County. He attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago,
graduating in 1854, after which he began practicing at Genesco,
Illinois, and continued there until his failing health caused him to
make a trip to California in 1858.
From Sierra County, California, he
went to Oregon and located at McMinnville, where he engaged in
practicing till December, 1859, when he returned to Illinois and
remained eighteen months. In 1861 he again came to California, locating
at Knight's Landing, on the Sacramento River, where he remained until
he came to Gilroy. He established the drug business here the next year
after coming in which he continued until the fall of 1887. Since that
time he has been engaged in real-estate business. He was married in
Genesco, Illinois, to Melissa A. Hobbs, a native of Maine. Her father,
a physician, died in Maine, and her mother resides in Gilroy. Dr.
Morey's father resides in San Jose, where his mother died in 1887.
The doctor is a member of the Masonic Order and belongs to Chapter and
Commandery at San Jose. Politically he is a Democrat. Dr. Morey has one
of the curiosities of California in what is known as the "Cloth of
Gold" rose tree. It was planted by him from a slip, in 1872, and now
covers an area of thirty feet in diameter, and is fifteen feet high,
and the body measures thirty-two inches around its base.
SOURCE: Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H.S.
Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888. page 384 Transcribed by Roena Wilson
SANTA CLARA COUNTY -The Valley of Heart's Delight
July 17, 2005