SURNAMES: PADDOCK, DEMMOND,
Harvey Wilcox was born in Onondaga County, New York, March 30, 1822. His father, Loammy Wilcox, was born in Connecticut, August 27, 1787, and removed to New York at a very early date. He was married to Hannah Paddock April 14, 1812. She was born in New York April 29, 1786. They reared a family of four children, Caroline, Edmund, Harvey, and Cordelia, of whom Harvey was next to the youngest. He was reared in New York until sixteen years of age. At this age he removed to Joliet, Illinois, where he engaged as a clerk in a general merchandise store and remained there till 1843, when he went into business for himself. When the Mexican War began he was one of the first to run cargoes of oats and other merchandise down the Des Moines and Mississippi Rivers on flat-boats to New Orleans, where he sold his cargoes to the government. He lived in Joliet till 1849 when he came to California and went into the mines, and after being there about a year returned to Joliet. He came again to California in the winter of 1855-56, and has been a resident of the State ever since. He located again in the mines in Sierra County, and was there about two years, when he returned to Solano County; engaging in business there until 1876; he then came to Santa Clara County and located. He settled in Los Gatos in 1881, bought and improved forty acres of land, which was purchased from him by the Santa Clara College of Jesuits as a branch of their college. Mr. Wilcox built the “Wilcox House” in Los Gatos in 1887, which he owns. It has thirty-five rooms, and is situated near the depot. Mr. P. A. Lamping is the proprietor.
Mr. Wilcox was married October 1, 1844, to Harriet S. Demmond, a native of Worcester, Massachusetts, where she was born July 1, 1826. They have two sons: Charles F., born July 6, 1852, and Harry E., June 12, 1861—both attorneys in San Jose.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis
Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy