JOHN A. FELLON
SURNAMES: BRIONES, ORTEGA
was born in Santa Clara County, October 17, 1840, his parents being Matthias and Manilla (Briones) Fellon. Matthias, the father of the subject, was born in Denmark, but came to America when about eighteen years old, and located in Monterey, California, and afterward removed to the San Ysidro ranch, where he lived for some years. He purchased 1,750 acres of land, and raised cattle, having as many as 1,500 head at times. In 1853 he removed to a house which he had built, not far from where John A. now resides. It was an adobe house, and he lived in it about nine years, when he removed to another part of the place. He owned land all the way from the foot-hills to San Ysidro. He built another good house there in 1861, and lived there until he died, February 16, 1868, a member of the Catholic Church. His wife died May 3, 1858. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom four grew to maturity, namely: Peter, now deceased; Simforiano, Adele, and John A.
The subject of
this sketch was married, January 4, 1874, to Miss Blandina Ortega, a native of
Santa Clara County, and daughter of Joseph Ortega, and are the parents of six
children, named: Corinne, John Alexander, Belle, Louis, Peter, and Marianna. Mr.
and Mrs. Fellon are members of the Catholic Church and do not mingle in
politics. He has a ranch of 170 acres, about three and a half miles northeast of
Gilroy. He removed to this place in 1870, but has owned it since 1868. He rents
it out to those who farm it. He built a handsome residence on the place in 1883,
at a cost of upwards of $1,500. He also has 219 acres of valley land in another
tract, only one and a half miles from where he lives.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHY PROJECT