JOHN FRANCIS LEWIS
Palo Alto Ranch
SURNAMES: COSTA ,MAGNA, HINDES, MOUTREY,
John Francis Lewis, Superintendent of the winery and vineyard at Palo Alto Ranch, is a man of no ordinary attainments. He is a native of South Carolina, born in Charleston, his parents being John and Cloelia J. (Costa Magna) Lewis, both of whom were born in Charleston. J. F. Lewis was reared in his native city until ten years of age, when he was sent to Europe to be educated, and there received the advantages of those celebrated institutions of learning, the Royal Polytechnic School at Dresden and the Royal Academy of Mines at Freiberg. From Germany he came to California, in 1862. He remained in San Francisco a short time, then went to Virginia City, Nevada, and there entered upon the duties of mining engineering. He became connected with the Western Union Telegraph expedition, having charge of surveying parties until the expedition disbanded in 1867. He became assistant to General B. S. Alexander, President of the Board of Engineers for the Pacific Coast, and was associated with him until the latter part of 1878. In 1879 he bought a vineyard and winery at Vine Hill, Santa Cruz County, and engaged in the business of raising grapes and making wine. In 1882 the firm of Lewis & Hindes was formed, and they carried on the wine-making business at Saratoga until 1886. Mr. Lewis then assumed the superintendency of the Los Gatos Co-operative Winery, which engaged his attention until he took his present position in the following year.
Mr. Lewis was twice
married. His first wife was Fannie Eleanor Hindes. She died in 1884. By this
marriage there were two children: Alvin Francis and Joseph Hindes. His present
wife was formerly Miss N. B. Moutrey, a native of Santa Clara County. Her
father was Riley Moutrey, the man who saved the Donner party. By this marriage
there is one child Nancy Belle.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy