SURNAMES: LEFON, PONCe
one of the enterprising men of Fremont Township, is a native of France, born near Bordeaux, February 12, 1833, his parents being Francois and Pauline (Lefon) Mercier. He was reared at his native place until he arrived at an age suitable to shift for himself. When in his eleventh year, he shipped aboard one of the coast fishing vessels, and thus commenced a nautical career. He followed sea life until 1849, when, attracted by the wonderful discoveries of gold on the Pacific Coast of North America, he decided to come to California and try his fortune in the New El Dorado. He sailed from Bordeaux in the ship Success, made the long voyage around Cape Horn, and arrived in San Francisco after the winter season had commenced. He remained in the city about six months, then returned to France. In 1852, however, he came back to San Francisco, and six months after his arrival went into the mines at Calaveras, San Andreas (now Stockton). He followed mining for six months, then returned to San Francisco, and for eight years commanded a vessel in the bay and coast trade. In 1864 he bought land where he now resides, moved upon it in July, and set about making improvements. Everything about the place is the result of his labors in this direction, as the tract was mostly covered with chaparral when he took possession of it. His present handsome residence was erected in 1880. With the buildings adjoining, it cost more than $6,000. Many ornamental trees, set out by Mr. Mercier, add to the natural beauty of the place. He has 101 acres of land, of which 68 acres are rented out, and this produces 120 tons of hay on average. He has about half an acre of old grapes, and about 250 vines set out in 1886, and the two succeeding years.
Mr. Mercier was married, at San Francisco, in 1858, to Miss Adelina
Ponce, a native of France. He is a member of the French Hospital
Association of San Francisco. In politics he is an Independent.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888. p. 639
Transcribed by Kathy
SANTA CLARA COUNTY
SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY