The Valley of Heart's Delight

England, San Francisco, San Jose


A successful and prosperous tailor, in whom may be found a satisfactory representative of the English expert designer and maker of high-grade clothing, is John Taylor, now so well known throughout San Jose and much of Santa Clara County, especially as the proprietor of the Crown Tailors, 35, East Santa Clara Street. He was born at Leeds, England, in 1884, the son of A. and Lea Taylor, devoted and worthy parents who are still living at Blackpool, the famous summer bathing resort.

John was educated in the excellent public schools of England, and when he was through with school-masters and books, he learned the tailoring trade. While he sat at the bench, the lure of the New World seized hold of him; and in 1907 he crossed the ocean to the United States. He recognized the attractions of New York and the East; but he was far-sighted enough to see in San Francisco much greater opportunity, and hither he came. It was soon after the earthquake, and John Taylor, fresh from the land acknowledged to lead in tailoring, was one of the few then in San Francisco who could cater to the elite; and so he had no difficulty in establishing there a successful business which he continued to conduct until 1920, to the satisfaction of everybody.

On May 22 of that year, Mr. Taylor came to San Jose and opened one of the best tailor shops the city has ever seen, which soon brought him into pleasant relations with the San Jose Chamber of Commerce and kindred organizations; and as his patronage rapidly increased, he became still more interested in the country round about. He had joined the Republican party years before, and he continued to do what he could to raise the standard of citizenship. About the same time that he set himself up in business here he married Miss Betty Niman, a woman of accomplishments who shares his love of music. Mr. Taylor belong to the B'nai B'rith.

Transcribed by Roena Wilson, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922 page 1616