Arrival of the Thomas Flyer, March 24, 1908, New York to Paris Race at the Lemolle House, San Jose, California

Lamolle House and Restaurant

See the arrival of the Thomas Flyer


proprietors of the Lamolle House and restaurant, corner of San Pedro and Santa Clara Streets, San Jose, have for the past eighteen years conducted a restaurant in this city, the management and cuisine of which have a reputation second to none in the state or the Pacific Coast.  Madame Lamolle has had ample  experience, having studied the art of cooking in france, and has conducted first-class establishments for the past thirty years in Virginia City, Reno, and Winnemucca, Nevada, previous to establishing business in San Jose in 1872.  They have an average of seventy-five transient guests per day besides their regular table boarders.  There are twenty-seven sleeping-rooms in the house.  They specially cater to the few who want good accommodations and fine french cooking.  The firm consists of Madame Lamolle, Emile J. Lamolle, the business manger, Mr. Alexis Gaston, the chef de cuisine, formerly at Delmonico's in New York.  Thus every department of this well-conducted house is in experienced hands.

Madam Lamolle is a native of Luchon, Department of Huate-Garonne, France, who come in her early youth to the Pacific Coast, and here remained.  Emile J. Lamolle was born in Eureka, Nevada County, California in 1859.  He received his education at Santa Clara College.  From that school he went to San Francisco, where he learned the business of machinist, finishing the apprenticeship at the Union Iron Works.  He continued at this business until five years ago, when he returned home and took an interest in the Lamolle House.  Mr. Lamolle's father, Bernard Lamolle, a native of France, died in 1869.  Madame Lamolle has one daughter, Marie, now the wife of H Pfister, who is in the grocery business in Santa Clara.


Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago:  The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Pg. 367


By June 1906, the Lamolle House was under the proprietorship of Jules Vigouroux in partnership with Louis Coutard and Camille Mailhebuau (famed proprietors of other San Francisco French restaurants, including Frank's Rotisserie and Bergez-Franks Old Poodle Dog).  With the advent of the horseless carriage, they recognized the need for a fine hostelry on the main highway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, and saw it in the Lamolle House. 

In 1917, the Lamolle House became the target of the evangelistic Law Enforcement League Campaign, when prominent league member and former State Senator Edwin E. Grant denounced it as being one of San Jose's houses of ill-repute.  It closed soon thereafter, only to be resurrected as the Growers Hotel 1922.