McCarthysville becomes Saratoga
SURNAMES: BARRY, WILSON,
deceased, was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1825. When he was a young man he emigrated to the United States, and was at New Orleans when the Mexican War broke out. He enlisted in the government service from that place in a company commanded by Captain Graham. After the close of the war he remained in the army until 1849. He then left his regiment in New Mexico and came to California, where he went into the mines and worked for seven weeks. He then settled where Saratoga now is, before any town had started there. He erected a house the same year, which was the beginning of the town, and other settlers soon after followed. A town sprung up and was called McCarthysville, by which name it was known for some time. The house he built is now standing, and is a good, comfortable residence, occupied by his widow. He brought with him quite a sum of money, which he had saved from his earnings while in the army, together with a number of mules which he sold at a good price. During his short stay in the mines he made about $20,000. He took up about 320 acres of land, which he supposed at that time was government land; but ten months after his death it was found to have been a Spanish claim and belonged to some parties in San Jose. His widow, in making a settlement of the claim, bought 128 acres, a part of which still remains in her possession. Mr. McCarthy built a turnpike road, the one which now goes through the town into the mountains, upon which he expended $12,000. After operating it as a toll-road for about a year, it was converted into a county road. He had obtained a charter from the Spanish authorities for a period of twelve years, but for some reason he never realized from it the amount invested. In the mountains he had a saw-mill, which he operated for three years.
He was married,
in 1853, to Hannah Barry, a native of County Wexford, Ireland, who came to this
country the same year, when she was seventeen years old. She lived in San Jose
ten months before her marriage. Mr. McCarthy died in 1864, leaving a family of
four children, of whom three are now living: William, court stenographer for San
Benito County, which position he has filled for four years; Margaret L., wife of
Matthew Wilson, residents of the same county; Daniel M., residing on the home
place, now serving his second term as constable of Redwood Township.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
WILLIAM J. McCAUGHIN
SURNAMES: JAMISON, CLOUGH
McCaughin came to California November, 1886. He is a native of Illinois, having
been born in Fulton County, in the town of Farmington, January 16, 1859. His
parents were Hugh and Margaret (Jamison) McCaughin. His mother died when he was
but three years of age. His father and the family removed to Peoria County,
Illinois, and there he was reared. In 1875 he removed to Iowa, and located in
Warren County, where he followed farming, and accumulated property interests,
which he still retains. In November, 1886, he came to Placer County,
California, and one month later removed to Cloverdale, Sonoma County. A short
time after this occurred his removal to Santa Clara County. On the twenty-fifth
of October, 1887, he became superintendent of the Breyfogle and Mayburg
property, near Madrone, and many improvements have been made under his
direction. He was married at Indianola, in Warren County, Iowa, December 25,
1879, to Miss Sarah S. Clough, a native of Iowa. They have four children, as
follows: Morris, May, Carl, and Frank. Politically, Mr. McCaughin is a
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY FAMILY CHRONICLES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight