NICHOLAS G. LUKE
Bio- Pen Pictures
Nicholas G. Luke
resides on the San Francisco road, in the Millikin School District, about two
and a half miles west of Santa Clara. His residence, a neat cottage, is upon a
fine orchard property of twelve acres in extent, fully improved and under a high
state of cultivation. The trees in this orchard are about equally divided among
apricots, Bartlett pears, and French prunes. There is a row of olive trees
completely surrounding the tract. Between the pear and prune trees he has
planted grapevines of the Muscat of Alexandria and Flaming Tokay varieties. Mr.
Luke is an enthusiast upon the fruit culture of Santa Clara County, and takes a
just pride in the success he has achieved in producing this beautiful orchard.
He is also an equal owner with Thomas H. Heist, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, of
thirty acres of land located on the southwest corner of the Saratoga and Alviso
road, and Reed Lane, in the Millikin School District, about one mile north of
his residence. This land will be fully improved by these gentlemen at an early
date, by being planted with a varied assortment of the best fruit-trees suited
to its location, climate, etc.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight