Dr. Norman Klein is one of the pioneers in the dental profession in Santa Clara County, having practiced dentistry here nearly thirty years. He is the son of New York parents, but was born near Woodstock, Canada, in 1833. Soon after his birth his father purchased a large quantity of land from the Indians through their agents (Keating & Jones) on the Walpole Islands, and moved there. But through the treachery and dishonesty of the agents, he and others who had bought land of them, were driven off and lost their entire investment. In 1841 he removed across the St. Clair River and settled in St. Clair County, Michigan, where he still lives, at the ripe age of 92 years. Dr. Klein was educated in Union College, Schenectady, New York, where he was at school nearly six years, but just before graduating left school, to come to the Pacific Coast. Confiding his intentions to a class-mate, E. H. Heacock—since Judge in this State—the latter at once declared his intention to join young Klein; and they in company with William Erkson, now of San Jose, started, on the twenty-second of April, 1852, to cross the plains to the far West. Two other young men of Schenectady joined them, and the five came through together. Their destination was Oregon, but some people from Louisville, Kentucky, who crossed the plains with them, were bound for California, and when they reached a point where the roads parted a vote was taken which resulted in favor of California, and the whole party came to the Golden State.
In the spring of 1853 Mr. Klein began to study law in the office of Smith & Hardy, in Sacramento, and continued till July, 1855. He then went to the town of Volcano and opened a law office, next door to a dentist named Kelley. They became intimate friends, and Attorney Klein being somewhat mechanical in his tastes, frequently observed and studied his neighbor’s work, and after a time assisted him occasionally on plate work. Thus he incidentally cultivated a liking for dentistry, began studying with a purpose, and finally abandoned the law practice and decided to open a dental office, which he did in the spring of 1859, in Santa Clara. In 1862 he removed to San Jose, where he has been in active practice ever since, and has a large and lucrative business.
In 1860 Dr. Klein
and Miss Belle Taylor were married, in Santa Clara. Mrs. Klein is a native of
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight