The Valley of Heart's Delight
OSCAR U. ALLISON is one of the native sons of California, who is devoting himself to fruit growing in Santa Clara County. His place on Pine Avenue, between Lincoln Avenue and Hicks Street, contains twenty acres, and is planted, ten acres in apricots, five acres in prunes, and five acres in peaches, all in bearing. This place yielded, in 1887, about $2,000. At that time he owned the place on the corner of Hicks Street and Minnesota Avenue, also a place near Campbell Station of thirty-two and one-half acres, of which twenty-one and one half acres were in fruit. These two latter places he has since sold.
He was born in Sonora, Tuolumne County California, in 1855. His parents, Oscar and Catherine (Miller) Allison, came to California in the pioneer days of the State. His father, a native of New York State, came around the Horn in 1849, on the breaking out of the gold excitement. His mother, a native of Massachusetts, came by way of Panama, with a married sister, in 1852. They were married in Tuolumne County, California, in 1852, and have two children, Oscar U. and Marion, now living in San Jose. Their residence is now in Napa County. The subject of this sketch was educated in San Francisco, after which he learned the soda-water manufacturing business, in San Jose, in Williams Bros’. Establishment, where he worked for seven years. He was for a time engaged on his own account in business in Woodland, Yolo County, California.