The Valley of Heart's Delight


ROBERT A. McARTHUR

HISTORY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY 554

SURNAMES:  STURTZ,  KIME, CLARK,
An energetic and prosperous rancher is found in Robert A. McArthur, who is the manager of his mother's orchard property. He was born in the rural district near Sioux City, Iowa, on October 13, 1893, the son of Alexander and Ida (Sturtz) McArthur. The mother was born in Iowa and descended from an old Pennsylvania family, while the father came from Ayr, Scotland, to America when twelve years old, with his parents, who located in Cook County, Ill., and farmed on land that is now built as the city of Chicago. Later, they went to Iowa and began farming in Sioux County. He acquired two sections of land, raised short horn cattle and engaged in general in Sioux County. His father acquired two sections of land, raised short horn cattle and engaged in general farming.

 In 1902 he removed to Santa Clara County and purchased a ranch on Pine and Lincoln in the Willow Glen district, and here he resided until his death in 1909, aged seventy-two years. Now his widow resides on Morrison Avenue, San Jose. Mr. and Mrs. Alexander McArthur were the parents of five children; John A.; Robert A., of this sketch; William E.; Mary; Ralph E. Coming to California when nine years of age.

 Robert A. received his education in the Willow Glen grammar school and the San Jose high school, where he was graduated in 1912. This completed his education except for a semester at Stanford University in 1914-15. In 1912, in company with his brother, John A., he went to Alberta, Canada, and bought a half section of land and engaged in wheat-raising. More land was added until now they own two sections of land near the town of Gleichen. In 1920 Robert A., returned to Santa Clara County,. but his brother remained in Canada in charge of the ranch.

In 1918 Mr. McArthur made a trip to Atchison County, Mo., where he was married on December 5, to Leora Kime, a daughter of J. A. and Roxanna (Clark) Kime. Her parents were frontier folks in Missouri, her father arriving before the railroads were built, and she is the second oldest of a family of five children; Kenlen, Leora, Harold, Alfred, and Mildred. Mr. and Mrs. McArthur are the parents of two children, Jean and Dorothy.

 In 1919 Mr. McArthur's mother purchased a forty-acre ranch set to prunes, peaches, cherries and apricots, on the Homestead Road adjoining the Stevens Creek Road; and in 1920 an additional thirty-two acres was added about three-quarters of a mile from the first ranch and located on the Homestead Road. Both ranches, comprising seventy-two acres, are devoted to orchards of full-bearing trees and are irrigated from the same well.

 Mr. McArthur is a Knights Templar Mason and Shriner, and with his wife is a member of the Eastern Star, and he is also a member of Stanford Chapter Theta Delta Chi. He has been a close student of horticulture and thus has become a well-posted and successful orchardist.

Transcribed by Marie Clayton, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California,
 published by Historic Record Co. , 1922. page 554
SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY