came to California in 1870, and located in Old Gilroy, where he resided for a short time, then went into the mountains and engaged in dairying and stock-raising. After remaining there ten years he went upon a ranch, where he remained six months; then went to Tulare County, and six months later returned to Santa Clara County, and again engaged in stock-raising, on the Coyote Creek. There he remained until locating in Gilroy, in October, 1882. He bought out the feed-yard of W. N. Shepherd, and added to it a livery department. He usually keeps about eight or ten horses for use in his livery business.
Mr. Grant is a native of Toronto, Canada, born there September 5, 1843. His parents removed, when he was a child, to Oxford, Canada, and there he resided until coming to California. His father, John Grant, was a farmer, and resides still at Oxford.
coming to this State, Mr. Grant remained but a few months. However, on returning
to Canada, he soon decided to come back to California. He was married, in this
county, to Mrs. E. A. Hinch, and to them have been born three children: Maude,
Samuel, and Ida. Politically Mr. Grant is a Democrat.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight