SURNAMES; TEAFORD, DULL,
a dealer in hardware, tin‑ware, house furnishing wares, and a plumber, of Santa Clara, was born in Prussia, June 16, 1848. At the age of twelve years he was brought to America by his parents, who settled at Mayville, Wisconsin, where he served an apprenticeship to learn the trade of tinner. He afterward worked at his trade at Milwaukee one year and five years at Chicago. In 1869 he came to California, being a passenger on one of the first trains that passed over the Union Pacific, landing at Sacramento, where he worked as a tinner until the following year; then coming to San Jose, he worked here until 1875, when he came to Santa Clara. Here he made his first venture in business as a hardware merchant. He has built up an extensive trade, and although starting out on a small scale, with only what little capital he had accumulated by his earnings, his business has so increased that he now employs, in its various departments, five men; and his success financially is the result of hard work and promptness in business.
Besides being an energetic business man, he has also taken an interest in the welfare and advancement of Santa Clara, and has served the public two years as a member of the Board of Trustees, three years as Treasurer, two years as a member of the Board of Education, and at this writing is serving his second term as School Superintendent. Politically he is a Republican. He is a prominent Free Mason, and is a member of Friendship Lodge, No. 210, A. F. & A. M., of Howard Chapter, No. 14, R. A. M., and San Jose Commandery, No. 10, K. T., all of San Jose. He has served his lodge five years as Worshipful Master, and at present is Scribe of his Chapter and Junior Warden of his Commandery.
In 1871 he was
married, at San Jose, to Miss Ellen Teaford, daughter of Elijah and Sarah (Dull)
Teaford, a native of Virginia. They have five children: Annie, Henry, George,
Frank, and Pearl.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.