SURNAMES: McINTOSH, PARR,
Robert Walker was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, September 15, 1842. He is a son of John and Ann (McIntosh) Walker, the former from Edinburgh and the latter from the Highlands of Scotland. John Walker located in Montreal, Canada, when he was a young man, where he was married. From there he moved to Ancaster Township, near Hamilton, being one of the pioneers of that locality, where he lived to a good old age, and died in April, 1885. His widow is still living there. They reared a family of eight children, of whom five are now living, four sons and one daughter. Robert Walker, the eldest of the living children, lived with his parents until he was twenty years of age. In 1862 he came to California by water from New York via Panama to San Francisco, and immediately left by the next steamer for Victoria, British Columbia. In 1863 he went into the Caribou gold mines, near the Fraser River, between three and four hundred miles from Victoria, and remained there until the fall of 1865. He then returned to San Francisco, and in the following spring made another trip to British Columbia, where he engaged in mining at Big Bend, in the Columbia River. Not finding the mines profitable, he again returned to California and settled in Monterey County, where he rented a piece of land and farmed for three years. He was married there, in 1869, to Eliza Jane Parr, a native of Santa Clara County, and daughter of Jonathan Parr, deceased. In 1871 he came to this county and moved upon his present place, situated on the Los Gatos and San Jose road, where he has since resided. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have three children: Leslie R., Myrtile M. and Vivian C.
Mr. Walker became a member of the order of Odd Fellows in January, 1888, and has been a member of the A. O. U. W. for several years. He is one of the directors of the Bank of Los Gatos and of the Los Gatos Fruit Packing Company. Mr. Walker’s farm contains 415 acres, and at the present time (1888) has 260 acres sowed to barley, and the remainder, with the exception of twenty acres in vegetables, is used for pasture.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The
Publishing Company, 1888.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
Proofread by Betty Vickroy