SAMUEL R. WILLIAMS
CUPERTINO DISTRICT WINERY
SURNAMES: WEISE, HUME, CLOSE,
was born in Canada West, June 25, 1828. His parents, James and Anna (Weise) Williams, were both natives of the same place. Samuel was raised on his father's farm, and during intervals was able to attend the public schools, where he was taught the common branches of education. He remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years old, when, in April, 1852, he was married to Jane Hume, also a native of Canada. He bought 100 acres of land in the same township,and began farming for himself, where he remained for three years. In 1855 he sold his property and emigrated to California. He went into the mines in Nevada County and worked there three years, with fair success, but, like nearly all miners, had his ups and downs. He then returned to Canada, where his family was during this time, and went into the tannery business in the township of Camden, Canada West. Mr. Williams remained there in business until 1866, when he sold his tannery and again came to California. He went into the mines at Virginia City, Nevada, where he stayed two years. He came to Yolo County, California, and went to farming, and during his residence there of two years sent for his wife and family. In 1870 he came to Santa Clara County and located in the Cupertino District, where he cleared l00 acres of wild land and set it out to grapes. After working the land three years, he received a deed for one-half of it as payment for the labor expended on the place. Mr. Williams has since taken two of his sons into partnership with him in the fifty acres, which are all in vines sixteen years old, that have been bearing heavy crops for several years.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams have five children, two daughters and three sons: Melissa A., wife of William Close; J. D., Albert E., Augustus C., and May Williams, all of whom are residing at home or in the county. His son J. D. Williams has a ranch of twenty acres, which is set to grape-vines five years old. Mr. Williams and his sons have a common interest, and all are doing business together. In the summer of 1886 they bought five acres on the Stevens Creek road near by, and erected a winery 153x30 with a capacity of 15,000 gallons, and in the same year made wine to the full capacity of the building.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
SANTA CLARA COUNTY The Valley of Heart's Delight