THEODORE W. LENZEN- ARCHITECT, San Joe, California, 1892
From the Commemorative Edition January 1, 1892, San Jose Daily Mercury
MEN WE ALL KNOW
THEODORE W. LENZEN- ARCHITECT, SAn Jose, California- 1892
Biographical Sketches of Well-Known San Joseans
THE STORY OF THEIR SUCCESS.
Theodore W. Lenzen
Of the well-known firm or architects of Jacob Lenzen & Son, was born in San Jose November 17, 1864. His father, the senior member of the firm, came from Chicago, establishing an office which has become one of the best known in the county.
Theodore W. was educated in the High School at the University of the Pacific, and commenced the study of his profession in San Francisco, completing the course in Europe. Mr. Lenzen did not confine his investigations in the old country to any one place, but visited various great cities making studies and sketches of some of the most noted edifices, many of them the work of masters of by-gone centuries. This work has been invaluable to him, many of his recent conceptions showing the
results of his study abroad.
The Santa Clara valley is noted for its many beautiful residences and public buildings, of which the firm of Jacob Lenzen & Son has planned and superintended the construction of no small number. The beautiful Hotel Vendome, the Y.M.C.A. building opened in November, the Hall of Records, one of the finest public edifices in the State, St. Josephs College, Postoffice
building, the Rucker, Straus, Doerr, Archer, Letitia, San Carlos, Sweigert and I.O.O.F. building, the vast insane asylum at Agnews, are among the many notable specimens of architecture which have established the reputation of
T.W. Lenzen was married in February, 1889 to Miss Kate A. Berlingen of Contra Costa, and has one son, Victor Lenzen. Mr. Lenzen is extremely popular with a large circle of friends and a life-long residence in San Jose has made him familiar with the requirements for homes, business or public buildings in this section of the county.
transcribed by jchavnar
The Scheller House-at San Jose State University, designed by Lenzen- now preserved
RETURN TO BIOGRAPHIES OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY PIONEERS