W. H. LEEMAN
SURNAMES: EMERSON, VEOM
whose fine residence stands on Lincoln Avenue, between Willow Street and Minnesota Avenue, has made his home at the Willows since 1874. He first lived on Willow Street, where his son, Frank C. Leeman, now lives. From 1859 to 1874 Mr. Leeman was one of the leading citizens of La Crosse, Wisconsin, and until recently he has had large real-estate interests there.
His birth occurred in the State of Maine, January 10, 1819, where he remained until he reached manhood. He became a practical millwright and contractor, and erected, at Lewiston, Maine, on contract, nearly one million dollars' worth of buildings. He was one of the early resident mechanics and contractors of Lawrence, Massachusetts, and helped to build the old Bay State Mills. He recalls the fact that the first personal property tax paid in the new town (which had been set off from Methuen) was paid by himself. Mr. Leeman has always led an active life, pushing every enterprise in which he has been engaged with great energy, and always with success. His life in California, compared with that of former years, has been somewhat retired. Still he has active interests in different directions, to each of which he gives close personal attention. He is one of the stockholders of the Commercial Savings Bank, and a Director and stockholder in the Burns Wine Company, established in 1886.
Mr. Leeman married, in Maine, Miss Amanda Emerson, a native of that State. She is a cousin of the late Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Frank C. Leeman, residing on Willow Street, between Lincoln Avenue and the Meridian road, at the Willows, is the owner of a fine residence and orchard, which is planted with a variety of fruit trees. He dates his birth at Lewiston, Maine, July 15, 1852, and is the only son of W. H. Leeman. From six years of age he was reared and educated in the city of La Crosse, Wisconsin, and became the assistant of his father in conducting a large wholesale and retail general grocery and supply business. He came with his father to California, and established his home at the Willows in 1874.
In 1878 Mr. Leeman wedded Miss Hattie Veom. Mr. Leeman is a thorough, practical
horticulturist, and, though not caring to become an extensive grower of fruit,
has great pride in doing what he can to obtain the very best results from his
ten-acre plat, which shows excellent care and attention.
Pen Pictures From The
Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated.
- Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.