Bio- Pen Pictures
SURNAMES: RICHERSON, DAWSON, ESREY, APPERSON,
resides on the Saratoga
and Alviso road, about two miles north of Lawrence, in the Braley
School District. His farm contains eighty acres of choice land, and
with the exception of a small portion reserved for orchard culture, it
is used exclusively for the production of hay and grain, and the
raising of stock. A plentiful supply of water is furnished by two fine
artesian wells, one being 300 feet in depth and flowing five inches
over a seven-inch pipe, and the other 425 feet in depth and flowing two
and one-half inches over a seven-inch pipe.
The subject of our sketch was born in Durham County, England, in 1821.
He is the son of James and Jane (Richerson) Sutherland, his father
being a native of Scotland, and his mother of England. His father was a
gardener, but William was brought up as a collier, being put to work in
the coal mines when but ten years of age. Naturally his opportunities
for gaining an education were extremely limited, and the fulfillment of
the plans which he has made in his lifework has been due to his
natural ability and perseverance.
Mr. Sutherland was united in marriage, in 1844, with Miss Ann Dawson,
the daughter of Robert Dawson, a resident of his native county. Five
years after his marriage, he came with his family to the United States,
with the hope of bettering his fortunes in this land of promise.
Landing at New Orleans, he proceeded directly to St. Louis. Several
months were spent in the coal mines of Missouri and Illinois, and in
1850 he crossed the plains to this State. On his arrival he went into
the mines in Placer County, but left them in 1851, to start out in a
new venture,—that of agriculture. He purchased a farm in Sacramento
County, and conducted it for five years. He then removed to Fresno
County, and, settling upon Kings River, spent the next three years in
stock-raising. From Fresno County he removed to his present home in
1868. Two years later he crossed the ocean to visit his old English
home, but returned to the new home in this lovely valley well content.
Mr. Sutherland is a member of the Southern Methodist Church, and his
daily walk is such as has gained for him the respect and confidence of
his neighbors and associates. Politically he is a Democrat, with
Of the ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland, but three are
living, viz.: James, who married Miss Eliza Esrey, of Fresno County,
and is now a resident of Santa Clara County; Elizabeth, who became the
wife of Elbert C. Apperson, of Santa Clara County, where they now
reside; and Clara, who makes her home with her parents.
Pen Pictures From The Garden of the World or
Santa Clara County, California, Illustrated. - Edited by H. S. Foote.- Chicago: The
Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
- SANTA CLARA COUNTY RANCHER
SURNAMES: RICHARDSON, DAWSON, APPERSON, BUCKNER
One of the most widely known, most successful
and popular pioneers who ever lived in Santa Clara County was William Sutherland, who established his
home on an eighty-acre ranch on the Saratoga and Alviso road, now known as Sutherland Avenue. A small
portion of the ranch was devoted to family orchard, but the production of hay and grain and the
raising of stock were the most profitable.
Two fine artesian wells furnished an
abundance of water for irrigation and for the large number of cattle, one being 300 feet deep and the other 425 feet
William Sutherland was born in Durham County,
England, in 1821. His father, James Sutherland was a native of Scotland, and his mother, Jane (Richardson)
Sutherland, was born in England. The father was a gardener by occupation, but William was put to
work in the coal mines when but ten years of age. Opportunities for an education were extremely
limited, but the success he accomplished was due entirely to his ability, energy and perseverance
in the face of discouragement and limited
In 1845 Mr. Sutherland was united in marriage
with Miss Ann Dawson, born in England in 1825, the daughter of Robert Dawson. Five years after his
marriage, he came to the United States, hoping to better his fortunes in this land of promise.
Landing at New Orleans, he proceeded at once up
the Mississippi to St. Louis. He spent several
months in the coal mines of Missouri and Illinois and during the year of 1851 he came across the plains
to California. He was first engaged in the mines in Placer County, but the next year concluded to
try a new venture, that of agriculture.
His wife and two children then joined him,
coming from England via Panama, but the oldest child, a girl, died soon after their arrival. He located in
Sacramento County and purchased a farm and conducted it until 1855, and then settling upon the
Kings River engaged in stock raising very
profitably for thirteen years. In 1868 he
removed to Santa Clara County and purchased the property known all over the county as the Sutherland
Returning to England in 1870 for a visit, he
came back to the Golden State, well content to spendhis remaining years
in the beautiful and productive Santa Clara Valley. He was an
active and generous member
of the Southern Methodist Church and his exemplary life won for him the
respect and esteem of all who knew him. He was
a stanch Democrat, but was a liberal in his views. His influence for good was far reaching and his
industry and integrity were potent factors in his success and the younger generation would do well
to emulate the example of his well-spent
life. Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland were the
parents of ten children, but only three grew up, two of whom are now living: James, deceased, whose sketch
appears in this work; Elizabeth, the wife of
Elbert C. Apperson of Sunol, and Mrs. Clara Buckner of Exeter. Mr.
Sutherland died at his
home in San Jose in 1903, while his wife
survived him until June 17, 1911.
History of Santa Clara County California with
Biographical Sketches, History by
Eugene T. Sawyer, Historic Record Company, Los
Angeles, California, 1922, page 366
transcribed by jchavnar
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES
SANTA CLARA COUNTY HISTORY