Evergreen, Yerba Buena Rancho, was first owned by Antonio
Chaboya, who held a Mexican grant title. When the Americans
acquiredCalifornia, Chaboya had to secure a United States title. This
was granted to him in 1858. The grant, seven miles east of San Jose,
was called Evergreen on account of the beautiful oaks that covered the
J. B. Hart, who was one of the lawyers engaged to obtain the
grant and was paid in land, cut up his portion into farms, and C. C.
Smith was one of the first purchasers and established the first
business, a blacksmith shop.
In 1866 the Evergreen school district was established. The first
trustees were John Holloway, Tom Farnsworth and Henry McClay. I.
P. Henning was the first teacher. In 1892 a new and modern building was
erected. The original building was moved and became the First Methodist
Church. On May 15, 1868, C. C. and F. J. Smith opened the first store
the village had.
In 1870 the Legislature resolved that Evergreen should have a
postoffice and the same year the resolution was carried into effect, F.
J. Smith becoming the first postmaster. For fourteen years the salary
was $12 per year. The office was discontinued January 1, 1914, and
since then the residents have been served by rural carriers.
In 1886 the Evergreen Hall was built and an entertainment for the W. R.
C. Home Fund yielded $300. The home was built a few years later. It is
a state institution, though under the management of the Women's Relief
Corps. It houses and cares for the widows and orphans of Civil War
soldiers and army nurses. There are five acres of ground; inmates,
1920, twenty-three; matron, Mrs. Alice Arthur. On October 10, 1920, the
home was destroyed by fire. In 1921 the Corps purchased from Dr. A. E.
Osborne the buildings and land of the Feeble-Minded Home, near
Winchester, on the Saratoga Road. The Home is now located there and has
Evergreen is connected with San Jose by five paved roads. Prunes,
apricots and peaches are the principal fruit crops. It is a very rich
section for early vegetables.
Transcribed by Linda Gretty, from Eugene T. Sawyers' History of Santa Clara County,California, published by Historic Record Co. , 1922.
RETURN TO SANTA CLARA COUNTY THE VALLEY OF HEART's DELIGHT
July 21 2005